UVA Soccer Thread

Realize this is mostly a basketball and football board and participation may be limited, but with soccer kicking into gear as well, thought it’d be worth starting a new topic for those interested.

Mainly wanted to point out that the UVA women’s soccer team wrecked the Hokies last night 3-1. Diana Ordoñez is a beast and started where she left off last season, scoring our first goal. Highlights of the game below (note #6’s nutmeg and discarding of the Hokie defender at the 30 second mark):

12 Likes

Love it! Back when I lived in cville, the fam and I went to every home women’s soccer game. Some of my favorite childhood memories. I’ve sort of stopped following the team until the postseason but looking forward to following along on here.

4 Likes

Waiting to see who steps up to take Daryl Dike’s role on the men’s team… he was a beast.

4 Likes

Love broadening the coverage. Great mens and womens teams in my day. Loved going to all their games when we could.

2 Likes

The men’s team last year was the best I’ve seen since the Bruce Arena era. I know Gelnovach has two national championship teams, and last year’s lost in the finals on kicks from the spot. But the soccer fates don’t always reward the best team, and even Coach G said last year’s team was the most talented he’s had. The men’s team will be very good this season, but likely not as elite as last year’s.

5 Likes

@DFresh11 I remember seeing you at lacrosse games. This was before Klockner.

1 Like

Yessir. had no clue what Lax was but loved those dudes and all the prettiest girls loved them

6 Likes

He sure was and killing it in MLS. Was the August player of the month for the league.

3 Likes

Women’s team scoreless w/ TCU at halftime w/ a win putting them into the College Cup (Final Four) against North Carolina. Good luck in the second half!

https://goheels.com/watch/?Live=3132&type=Live

1 Like

They will get the win

2 Likes

A lot of good chances the 1st half.

2 Likes

Nice work!

2 Likes
10 Likes

Reminder this is on ESPN2 this evening. National Semi-Final vs. #1 ranked & undefeated Florida State!!!

Virginia vs. #1 Florida State (Semifinal #1) (NCAA Women’s Soccer Championship)

Edit: For my fellow European Hoos… it is being streamed on the European ESPNPlayer app at midnight Central European Summer Time…

https://www.espnplayer.com/game/virginia-at-florida-state-on-05132021

5 Likes

Let’s go Hoos baby!!!

2 Likes

They’ve had some good chances. Though one of their players just took a knee to the chest and somehow got called for the foul.

They’ve looked great this half. Winning the ball in midfield, attacking with good aggression and pace. Playing very proactive and brave.

1 Like

Yes. get it into the last third and just need to have one at that point.

Best I’ve seen them play so far, granted I haven’t watched much. They are pressing really high and taking advantage of FSU mistakes. But somebody needs to take a left footed shot. They are constantly 1 v 1 on the left and they keep beating that girl to then try and cut it back to their right foot. Need to finish far post with the left foot.

Love our coach whoever he is. Can see he loves the girls and is so positive. Go Hoos!

2 Likes