UVA Soccer Thread

Steve Sampson is great. He was the full National Asst. for awhile as well, not sure if he is anymore. Great coach.

Holy shit he is there 21 years? Lauren Gregg was the coach in my time and just awesome. My college girlfriend was a star on the team and I love all those girls

3 Likes

Amazing season, heartbreaking way for it to end. Those were some uniquely terrible penalty kicks though… got to practice that for next year.

4 Likes

Really shouldn’t have gone to penalties, there were plenty of good chances, however the egregious no call in the box is what really cost us.

1 Like

Mia Hamm was always my favorite even though a Heel!

Yeah, they had chances to win it. But the final pass was never quite there.

Those penalties at the end though… you can’t not put it on frame, and you can’t put it chest high. Every single shot was awful. Just… have to do better than that.

But that said, still, amazing season. So impressed by this team.

4 Likes

yes my girl Kim Conway marked her back then

1 Like

Ugh… just woke up to see the final score. While I love soccer, I hate penalties to decide games.

I’ve always been an advocate for alternating corner kicks until someone scores… I think that would be more exciting!

2 Likes

Clever, though that might take forever. Maybe if they also pulled the goalies after several tries?

2 Likes

Id love to see alternating corners! Agree it could take forever but would make for a cool spectical.

2 Likes

Yeah… I obviously did not make that up in my own head. I’ve seen multiple arguments for the alternating corners. Many detractors say there could be injuries… and the taking forever argument comes up as well. I don’t know however… I think it needs to be tried. Something needs to change as penalty shootouts are more luck & nerves than skill.

I think teams would get very creative in their set piece corners if this were the case and injuries is not the best argument w/ how other sports do their overtimes.

2 Likes

Hadn’t thought about injuries. That’s probably why it wouldn’t happen.

How about something like a 6 v. 4 face off for 5 minutes (details on #s and duration up for discussion, also maybe pull the goalies) on alternating sides, kinda like how college football does it?

1 Like

Question for me would be if someone gets taken down on corner set piece in OT is team awarded penalty anyway and that decides is?

Its like game point in pock up hoops. Game may never end ha

1 Like

Just reduce the number of players on the field every 5 minutes imo

2 Likes

Kind of like hockey? That would be an interesting approach as well…

1 Like

why would the alternating set pieces have to be corner kicks? What about set pieces from just outside the penalty area?

Let’s do the old NASL shoot out!!! Those were fun. I think MLS did that the first year or two.

1 Like

Yupp. We’d get real soccer and I bet most of the time it would end quicker than 20 minutes too.

1 Like

Forgot to do this back in May… but had to come back and post the obligatory Scott Sterling video if we’re talking penalty kicks…

1 Like

Rick Carlisle in gol?

1 Like