Man, I miss the old uni

1 Like

Looks like some running worked there…

2 Likes

ya think?

1 Like

I didnt appreciate AG nearly enough back then

4 Likes

One of my all-time favorite Hoos (hence the profile pic). Dude was tough but also had a great sense of humor. Was a perfect personality counter balance to guys like Malcolm.

5 Likes

Haha, that was a 52 possession game

Is that a lot or nah? I dont know these metrics

Average possessions per game that year was 64.8

Ha. so I guess the running part were the only real highlights…

1 Like

It was our second fewest possessions in a game that year behind the 48-45 win at Pitt.

When you score 70 points in 52 possessions, a lot of things are working. Fast breaks just make for better highlight packages. Shooting 21-29 on 2’s isn’t sexy unless they are dunks.

6 Likes

Time to be Debbie Downer, but it’s interesting to see how some things don’t change. Jump out to a 19-7 lead and got reeled back in and were down in the first half at one point. Quick assumption is offense went into hibernation for a bit. An unfortunate constant with the style of play. The glaring difference and positive part is that team has the dawgs who could also go on a Cavalanche with a 22-0 run which takes great offense and even better defense.

It’s easy to forget just how elite this program was from 14-19. That was a next level run that was going to be difficult to maintain no matter who showed up.

5 Likes

Thinking of some of the social media (Nolan Smith IG) and Coach K quotes (about chess match stuff) from the other thread, and my read of that stuff – aside from Duke being annoying (water is wet) – is that (1) the Duke staff is trying to get their attention on this one and (2) K and staff must have thought they weren’t tough enough in game 1. Pretty obvious observations on my part, I guess.

3 Likes

It’s smart coaching (I hate giving Duke credit) Phil Jackson did this in the NBA all the time. Look back and UVA brutalized Duke in the paint and on the boards. So what better way to neutralize that than put it in the refs heads that they need to control the games physicality?

3 Likes

The in game coaching chess match at times is getting calls at the right times.

At Duke, Duke seemed to get most of the calls for the first 3/4 or so of the game. Usually means, if you are still in it, you have a chance to get the ones that count. I felt like that happened to an extent for us at Cameron

4 Likes

Nothing earth shattering here but trying to collect my thoughts on this Duke game…This is a big one ladies and gentlemen - can’t wait for tomorrow night! So many storylines with it being K’s last game at JPJ, the drama of the last game, Duke vying for a #1 seed, the 'Hoos trying to get inside the bubble, etc… Just an awesome opportunity for us and a chance for them to get revenge. And make no mistake, Duke is going to bring everything they have at us tomorrow night. I know the players/staff and JPJ will be ready, but this will be a different team than what we saw in Durham. A few observations from that game:

1. We DOMINATED the paint - outscored Duke 52-28. Kadin was 8-8 for 16 pts and 6 rebounds in 24 minutes. Papi had 8 pts on 3-6 shooting with 6 rebounds in 16 mins. THIS WILL BE TOUGH TO REPEAT.

2. Gardner dominated Banchero in Durham… JG had 17pts, on 8-19 shooting. Banchero had his worst game of the season, scoring 9 pts in 38 mins. He had zero points in the second half and the only shot he took was the wild one at the buzzer that hit the top of the backboard. My guess is they go to him early to get him rolling so we have to be ready. Keeping him out of double digits WILL BE TOUGH TO REPEAT.

3. Cant get a read on if K will play more zone against us or not in this game? They always seem to mix in it against us to varying degrees of success. We didn’t shoot it well against the zone in Cameron, but we did rebound well against it and were able to convert the second chance points. I don’t think they play it enough consistently to be disciplined and/or that effective, but its a wrinkle they may use selectively. I also think their ego is involved and they firmly believe they have “better” athletes and players so they should be able to stop us man to man. We will see but look for them to mix it in occasionally.

4. Kudos to Kody for a very solid Miami game. I hope he continues to play with that level of confidence and poise. But make no mistake, we NEED Armand’s toe to be ok. We need his defense and his ability to get buckets. I commented earlier on how significant a toe injury is - lets hope his is healing and that Ethan is working his magic.

5. Their BIG guards are a BIG problem given our lack of size in the backcourt. Keels is 6’4, Wendell Moore is 6’5", and AJ Griffin is 6’6". If you remember, Reece was in foul trouble in Cameron as well. Kihei has to match up with Keels and I think that K will go right at him from the jump. Will need some guys off the bench to play well if Armand’s toe is a problem and/or if we have foul trouble in the backcourt again. This worries me.

All that said, I like our chances. JPJ will be an insane asylum and CTB and staff will them well prepared. We will play Virginia basketball and it will be close in my opinion in a low scoring game - shocker…It’s the biggest game of the season and emotions will be running high for players, coaches, and fans. LFG!!!

8 Likes

Good point on match ups. K will go USA pro basketball and look to exploit the match ups when they are on offense

And of course scream that they are being fouled

3 Likes

Similar dynamic on the NCAA Tourney run. We’d get ten point leads, then have to rally when we’d fall behind.

1 Like

So what are the odds on Tony punching Coach K in the handshake line? High or really high?

6 Likes

Depends if K is wearing an orange shirt. That’s like a bull seeing red for Tony.

8 Likes