UVA vs. Miami Thread

Picture1

How?

2 Likes

Because the ACC is wack, ESPN predictor is absolutely worthless and this should be a close game. KP, BT and likely Vegas has it within a few pts

3 Likes

Yeah I saw KP had it as a 1 pt game.

1 Like

Yeah, if we can keep their guards from going off from 3 we have a decent shot. Reece will need to shut down Wong and KC Moore. Make it an ugly game, hit the boards (they’ve got no real big) feed Gardner.

7 Likes

looks low to me

2 Likes

Miami actually has a better BPI than we do, making it more confusing. I was then wondering if Miami has been bad on the road, but they’ve only lost one on the road, by one point. ESPN’s stats stuff always seems a little odd to me…

On paper, it doesn’t seem like a bad matchup to me. They don’t have a stretch 4 (Is Miller a stretch 4?). I feel like Shed can stay with Waardenburg, so hopefully we switch him in quickly. And they are not big 1-3. Didn’t they hammer Duke on the back door? That won’t work against us.

https://twitter.com/hoopvision68/status/1480018479591968771?s=20&t=ARSac3BdL-lTWtk_So5i1g

Also, just eyeballing this, (1) Roach just kinda stinks, and (2) Griffin was still learning how to play D (probably still is).

3 Likes

When they are hot, Miami’s guards can knock down shots with anybody. Makes me slightly worried about an NCST scenario, but to some extent, we can’t control that. Let’s just hope they’re cold and that Reece and Kihei can annoy them enough on the perimeter.

2 Likes

Yeah this team can absolutely shoot.

Feel like the guard group has the confidence to say to kihei “i don’t care how tight you guard me, I’m shooting over you”.

2 Likes

I was just looking at clips of when we played at Cal in December of 2016 because for one reason or another I remembered Ty getting yanked from the game and chewed out for going under a ball screen and I was going to use it to make a point (no idea what my point was anymore), when sure enough I heard the name Charlie Moore. Man he’s been around for a long time.

Point of this is though, Moore is only listed at 5’11". So Kihei may have a chance to actually contest some shots tomorrow!

1 Like

didnt Kihei block couple of 3s against a shorter guard early this season?

3 Likes

He’s credited for 3 blocks on the season, 1 each in the games at Syracuse, home against Clemson, and at Carolina. I think th Syracuse game is the one you are thinking of. I thought he had multiple blocks in the one but only got credit for one.

2 Likes

I was thinking Clemson but Cuse is right cause he played their PG well

1 Like

He blocked 3 of Girard’s shots in the Syracuse game. Again - official stats are only as good as the home team stats crew which is the official crew on all games that aren’t at a neutral site.
If you think officials are bad, you haven’t met stat crews - I was one for 10 years - including the NCAA tournament. They are really bad on steals and assists and some blocks. A lot of times they don’t give blocks because they are lazy and don’t want to assign a rebound or a missed shot. Every missed shot has to have a rebound assigned.

2 Likes

This is probably a dumb question but is there an objective way to determine if an assist occurred? Or is it just that the scorer thinks the pass directly led to a made shot?

Great question. And does 1 dribble negate an assist?

1 Like

Everything you’d ever want to know is on Page 9:

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/Stats_Manuals/Basketball/2018EZ.pdf

It’s open to interpretation basically.

3 Likes

Interesting…an assist can be given even if it’s not the last pass. I wonder if that ever happens.

If a duke player is ever known for assists you can bet they are. Probably credited with assists sitting on the bench.

3 Likes

I feel like in practice it’s more mechanical and the last pass gets it. Need hockey assists!

Reeeece!!

1 Like