UVA vs Va Tech thread

New thread for next game

1 Like

TL;DR of my post from the other thread:

Aluma worries me, but I think we match up really well defensively against them, especially their guards. None of those guys are particularly athletic and it’s one of the few teams we play all year where we have the size advantage (in the backcourt). I hope Reece guards Storm and eats his lunch all game long.

On offense, we simply have to hit shots. Tech plays surprisingly good defense and will force us to take threes. This is a game where Taine hitting a few 3’s off the bench could be the difference.

Afraid of this one. Tech has shooters, we don’t. Could see Murphy or Allihem breaking out of those slumps

1 Like

Would be just our luck. Bet Alleyne hits a few just becayee but I could see one of Kihei or Reece just getting completely in Murphy’s head

1 Like

Aluma is going to get his but honestly more worried how we measure up against Mutts. He’s active on the boards and going to be a matchup issue for Gardner.

Also I don’t have the data to support it but Cattoor also seems like the type of guard that just lights it up from three on open looks / late close outs.

Cattoor has had a few good games against us. He’s a good shooter. Doesn’t do much else but can definitely see him getting open a few times unless Reece is on him.

Interesting to note that Tech has also only used 1 starting lineup on the season.

More interesting to me, is that according to evanmiya.com, their starting lineup has been outscored on the season and has not been very effective. They have 324 points on 352 offensive possession and have allowed 332 points on 346 defensive possessions. They have played a slightly more difficult schedule that us so far according to KenPom, 56th compared to our 76th.

For reference, our starting lineup has score 313 points on 298 possessions and have allowed 272 points in 291 possessions.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Tech wins for no other reason than the fact that they haven’t won an ACC game yet. Of course, their first ACC win will be against UVA. The universe would have it no other way.

11 Likes

UVA -1 Over/under 118.5 for those of you into that sort of thing.

3 Likes

This is nothing like it was in my room
In my best clothes
Trying to think of you
This is nothing like it was in my room
In my best clothes

Vpi money line an easy bet for me. Either we win or I get some money.

2 Likes

Love it bet yourself happy

Only UVa games I ever bet are when we’re -1 or pick ‘em.

Oddly enough I feel pretty good about tonight. Whether or not that means we’re doomed is left as an exercise for the reader.

6 Likes

I feel fine about this one. Virginia Tech shoots the 3 pretty well, but doesn’t seem to shoot that high a volume of them. Aluma is a better matchup for Shed than he was for Huff. Stretch 4s are scary for us, but is Mutts really a stretch 4?

I don’t know if we’ll win or not; the game is basically a toss-up. But there’s nothing VPI does that is particularly concerning to me. And we match up well with them height-wise better than against many teams. They’re not big at the 3 or the 4. Murphy seems to be in Kihei’s wheelhouse.

3 Likes

All I know is that I’m not going to watch. Better for my blood pressure, as well as our general chances to win :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Gotta watch. Lets go!!!

5 Likes

Do you want me to watch, or do you want the W? Can’t have both! LOL

3 Likes

Well…

1 Like