UVA vs Va Tech thread

Both Papi and Shedrick have missed a ton of development time with injury/illness and finally saw a relatively healthy offseason this year. We may be seeing Papi finally develop into the player that we hoped he would be with more playing time and development.

By the way, lost development time to injury/illness/covid protocols has really plagued this group. What we perceive as recruiting misses may be guys who would have developed into strong players with a normal player development situation. Kody, Papi, and Kadin are the three most obvious examples.

3 Likes

Maybe, or maybe he had a good game. Stay tuned.

4 Likes

How many games has Kadin gotten quick two fouls this season? Seems like most. Maybe off the bench is the right move resulting in more PT for him throughout the game. More development and better for the team

I dont know

11 Likes

Yeah, I could have been more clear. I thought Shedrick was actually perfectly solid on the defensive end. Aluma scored over him a couple times, but thatā€™s going to happen and Shedrick usually was in good position. He gave up the baseline once - which in our system is not OK - but it was one time. He hedged and recovered well, especially given the distances he was being asked to cover.

The offensive end was where Iā€™d say it was a rough night. He never managed to get involved offensively at all, whereas Caffaro was able to. And Shedrickā€™s second foul was a dumb bad screen on the offensive end where he was late and lunged into a dude. I know heā€™s had ups and downs, but I do sometimes wonder if itā€™d be helpful to run a few more plays early for him to get him feeling more involved on that end. But I donā€™t know - might be on him, not play design. Heā€™ll get there - Iā€™m not very worried about his future if he keeps up his high level of effort.

3 Likes

I will say, Papi started the 2H, right? As far as I can remember (and Iā€™m probably forgetting one), that was the first different post-half starting lineup. Anyone remember? If Iā€™m right, we couldā€™ve seen some early returns into Tonyā€™s thinking going forward.

It wouldnā€™t be my first tweak to the starting lineup, but this team needs some shaking up, so fine by me.

Gotcha. Agreed

1 Like

I also had to change my mindset when I played. Didnt matter who starts it matters what you do with your time on the floor. You have to play so that the coaches CANT take you out when you have chances

6 Likes

I donā€™t understand why Shedrick canā€™t be a rim runner in the pick and roll

2 Likes

Agree, I think Kadin would benefit from coming off the bench if Papi can play close to that.

It seems like Papi is having the game slow down for him just a bit. A little more under control.

Also, Iā€™ve been very impressed with Reece recently. Heā€™s starting to pull the trigger on some 3s, heā€™s being more aggressive, and his ability to turn defense into offense is so helpful to prevent scoring droughts.

Go Hoos!

9 Likes

And yammed one right on Aluma. Reece! is a sneaky quick jumper. Once the shot really decelops AA candidate

7 Likes

Gotta get his coordination and strength up. Kadin on offense still gets bounced around like a ping pong ball. He needs some more strength and coordination and he can. Right now heā€™s not a strong finisher at the rim esp in traffic.

5 Likes

Agree, but PnR doesnā€™t really work with our starting lineup. I feel like Kadin has some untapped offensive skills.

4 Likes

Yeah Reeceā€™s ability to finish around the rim is something we havenā€™t seen since Malcolm.

Ty was crafty- normally finished from a little further out (or with floaters).

4 Likes

I was too into the game to bring it up last night butā€¦how the heck did Joe Lunardi have VT in the NCAAT? They had 1 Top 100 NET win, and barely that. Navy was in the 90s. I know because I looked it up when writing the game preview. I assumed Maryland and maybe St. Bon were their best wins, but both were outside 100. Thereā€™s just no way that resume should have been considered worthy of tourney consideration.

14 Likes

Metrics systems love them still. They are 31 in kenpom (and 36 in TRank). Also 37 (as of yesterday) in NET.

I imagine that is why.

4 Likes

Exactly. Thatā€™s kind of my point though. The way I understand it the teamā€™s ranking itself isnā€™t supposed to be a factor, but it is.

6 Likes

I know there are people on the team a crap load smarter than me but I will throw this out there anyway - maybe Franklin needs to have an eye exam.

3 Likes

Yeah, I think the NCAA erred in how they managed how the NET works with the selection process. It would have been way cleaner to have the NET be a pure predictive rating system (e.g. KenPom) that then informs a strength-of-record metric (e.g. wins above bubble). But that would require taking the selection committee out of the actual selecting, which I donā€™t think theyā€™ve ever shown an inclination to do.

2 Likes

Fwiw, VPI was the first out in the most recent bracket matrix:
http://bracketmatrix.com/

If you look at their nitty gritty report, they are currently a classic case of meh or bad results with still good predictive numbers.

At the extremes, their BPI is 22 and their SOR is 105.

Frankly, itā€™s one of the silly parts of doing bracketology right now, but itā€™s fun.

3 Likes

They are the team that keeps losing close games at the endā€¦ itā€™s the opposite of our 2019-2020 teamā€¦ if we are the opposite side of the 2/3 point margins on a couple of those games early in the season, it wouldā€™ve been UVa that no one could figure out. Fortunately for usā€¦ UVa kept squeaking by w/ those 2 to 3 point wins all season!

3 Likes

I think towards the bubble they are still taking into account projections for the rest of the season along with results and thatā€™s where the KenPom ratings come into play. VT, although currently 0-4 in the ACC, has the easiest remaining ACC schedule according to Bart Torvik. They are favored in all but 3 of their remaining games.