🏀 Virginia at Florida State, Sat, Feb 10th, 8pm EST, The CW

Jalen Warley is now 1-3 from 3pt on the entire season.

Discuss

2 Likes

They’ve played UNC close both times, beat Wake Forest, and went 1-1 with Clemson. They also lost by double digits to South Florida and SMU, lost to Lipscomb by 3, and Louisville dropped 101 on them.

I have no read on this team. They have two solid 3pt shooters (Green Jr and House who is a midwest basketball club kid with Sheppard and Cupps) but otherwise they are a bad 3pt shooting team full of athletes who want to attack and apply pressure as always. No idea if true of this FSU team, but past FSU teams have struggled with our ball movement and fundamentals and it seems as a team they average 1 turnover for every assist.

7 Likes

They don’t really play with a center; Corhen gets the most minutes as the 5, and I think he’d be a 4 at some other places. Same with DeAnte Green. Gainey looks more like a 5, but they are a bad defensive rebounding team no matter which of those guys are in. Perhaps a game where our frontcourt should be aggressive about offensive rebounds.

They foul a lot but also create a lot of turnovers and play fast, so looks like a typical FSU team in some ways. Usually they like to press up on the perimeter and deny passing lanes; however if you can get by the primary defender, they don’t tend to have their offball defenders in good help positions as a result of trying to get into the passing lanes.

I don’t know how it’s possible for a guard to take less than 0.5 threes per 100 possessions like Warley is doing…but I guess it’s good that he knows his limitations. I’m also not convinced having Primo Spears available has been that good for them. They turn into a (bad) midrange jump shooting team in his minutes and he’s been inefficient with his offense individually.

3 Likes

The Hoos under Tony are 11-11 vs Florida State.

2 Likes

Their crazy length and helter skelter style of play has been hard for our teams to deal with. This will be a challenge, but is very winnable if we control the pace and keep up our good play.

6 Likes

Backward dribbling Rohde needs to find some confidence in this game.

3 Likes

me when our game is on the CW (which I don’t get)
Emotion Reaction GIF

5 Likes

Worst broadcast quality in America. They are using hand me down cameras from 1982.

1 Like

It’s just the Raycom broadcast that had been airing on RSNs though, right? Not saying that makes it better, but I think they CW just kept the same production infrastructure and slapped their logo on it.

1 Like
6 Likes

Did not realize that CTB had only a .500 record against FSU…

2 Likes

Fsu typically made up of huge rangey athletes. The perfect match to CTB teams

2 Likes

Yeah and fsu was firmly established as a top 4 ACC team in TBs early years too.

3 Likes

2-3 vs FSU since 2019.
4-3 from 2015-2019
3-0 in 2014 alone
2-5 in early years 2010-2013

2 Likes

FSU had very high level teams in 2020 and 2021, along with also being very good in the early years of CTB. They offer a unique and truthfully difficult matchup for us but this particular unit can’t score in the way FSU teams have in the past (ironic for a UVA to be critiquing another teams scoring, I know).

I think 2 things here play to our advantage:

1. while they are long, there isn’t a lot of bulk to them. Jake and Blake won’t be undersized and shouldn’t be bullied. Should help both defensively and also going for rebounds.

2. FSU forces turnovers, but it isn’t because they are super aggressive. they just pick up man full court and stay in your face. Not as much hand checking or dogging that we’ve seen from teams that have given us major issues.

Bottom line unless they shoot out of their minds a la Notre Dame (which isn’t out of the realm of possibilities) I think this one is more about us not beating ourselves. Take care of the ball, limit transition opportunities and play sound defense moving your feet.

8 Likes

Watkins and Corhen are the 2 I’m most concerned about matching their athleticism

Raycom without the viewing restrictions. I’m not complaining! TV without borders should have happened years ago.

1 Like

I don’t like the CW games because on YouTube TV you can’t start the game late and catch up by fast forwarding through the commercials and halftime. You have to wait for the game to be completely over before you can access the recording. I’ve never seen this restriction with other channels (this CW restriction might only apply if you’re out of your home area, but I’ve been traveling for every CW game, so I’m not sure).

I like CW because everytime Dunn dunks the announcer loses his mind and then they proceed to to show it again from 4 different angles as they cut to commercial

14 Likes

The transition game will be a key battleground; FSU is #62 in initial shot attempts in transition (~31% of initial shots in transition), and shoots better in transition vs. in the halfcourt flow (54.8 vs. 47.7 effective FG%). But it’s a strength-on-strength situation, as we are #9 in limiting transition shot attempts (~22% of initial shots in transition) and #37 in effective FG% against us on transition shots (48.2).

https://hoop-math.com/index.php

1 Like