Virginia Basketball Development

Former Wahoos who developed significantly under CTB; Mathis, Scott, Harris, Brogden, Hall, Farrakhan, Guy, Jerome, Hunter, Huff, Diakite, Mitchell, Gill, Atkins, Sene, and Anderson.

1 Like

I’d say Virginia and Villanova are the two best programs for developing guards and wings. Gonzaga is probably the best for developing bigs.

3 Likes

I would agree. We are getting ready to make a run of developing bigs for the NBA. Huff will surprise and have a bigger impact in the NBA than many are expecting.

Kadin is going to be special with his mobility. He has the potential to remind some of Tim Duncan. Caffaro has the chance to be a tough, hard-nosed NBA journeyman or have a professional career elsewhere.

1 Like

Texas Tech and Rutgers. Yes Rutgers coach is a very underrated coach.

1 Like

I really think if we have the season I believe we will have. Williford is gone. He is tu good and very well liked tu stay as an assistant. Im not sure he won’t tu move his kids. But he will have the opportunity and a good program. I can see him taking over Temple. I love talking tu Mckie these last few months. He appear tu be a great man. But he may not make it after this season. What if Maryland fire Turge and want tu hire Williford. How would yall feel? LOL

1 Like

I really hope Williford gets a good opportunity soon. We will miss him that’s for sure. Hopefully CTB can continue to grow his young coaching tree.

Good call! I wasn’t even familiar with him and didn’t realize he was Stony Brooks former coach.

1 Like

I’ll admit that I didn’t read through the rest of the comments, so maybe someone has addressed this. Still, I want to stand up for Ethan Saliba. I don’t think it’s smart to bring in someone to replace him after his, what, 30+ year committment to UVA athletics, especially hoops. Not only has he earned the trust of the coaching staffs, but he’s handled lots of issues (e.g., injuries to multiple players), worked closely with the medical staff (McCue, Macknight), and sustained an academic career as a professor.

3 Likes

Yeah there’s no way in hell that Tony Bennett lets them get rid of Ethan Saliba.

4 Likes

Nothing against anyone else but Ethan is the greatest of all time. Not to be replaced until he decides so

10 Likes

Ethan’s an institution. People (UVA American football, soccer, T&F, rowing, etc.) consider him the guru, and rightfully so.

2 Likes

And, don’t forget Sue Saliba, who’s done a lot, too, despite her incredible work in teaching students in the program for athletic trainers, as well as her clinical work!

2 Likes

John, I really appreciate you defending Ethan. Not knowing him, I didn’t even consider what he means to the program. Since bringing it to my attention, I realize that he must be pretty special to the programs and athletes he has served. That’s what makes our program special.

I used to play on a men’s slow-pitch softball team with Joe for several years, prior to and during his college years. It was more a reflection of Joe’s accomplishments, coming from a small town and what a great guy he is.

I apologize to those who may have been offended and especially Ethan and his family.

1 Like

As a student athletic trainer in the mid-90s, Ethan and Sue were the absolute best and bleed orange and blue.

6 Likes

Ethan and Sue treated each student athlete like they were the most important player on their teams from walk ons to the All Americans. Their expertise speaks for itself but their human touch just goes way above and beyond what anyone can expect. Seeing Ethan when I go back is always huge highlight of my trip

13 Likes

That’s awesome to hear. Didn’t he work with the football program during Welsh’s era?

I am pretty sure he did. He was always with us but I think he was on sidelines for football games working as well. And of course in the training room helped literally everyone. Not sure when he was ever at home or slept ha

2 Likes

It’s the people like that that really make a program. They are the hearts and souls who develop culture. The fact that Fresh still remembers them so fondly speaks volumes.

6 Likes

McCue was also great for UVA athletics. I did have the opportunity to be a patient of his and was extremely impressed. He had a place at Smith Mountain Lake and offered to meet me in Moneta rather than driving back to Charlottesville, if I needed anything. How many doctors that you meet for the first time would offer that?

2 Likes