Virginia Basketball Development

Absolutely!! I love hearing these stories!

1 Like

If you’re on Twitter this is a must follow.

2 Likes

Doc McCue scoped my right knee twice during college. After the first one I woke up on his couch afterwards and his wife took care of me for couple days. After the second one I stayed with Miss Carol Johnson who was long time basketball office secretary and a mom to all of us. You did NOT want Miss Johnson to hear you were late for a class! Amazing people at UVa.

Would be remiss to not mention how involved Joe Geick was in my rehabs as well. Had me playin in couple short weeks

4 Likes

I have slightly different memories of McCue. He did a ton for UVa athletics and was a great guy, but my ankle would raise a few questions about him. Think Majestic’s knee would feel similar.

1 Like

you arent alone there my man

1 Like

Joe Gieck was the primary trainer for football during the Welsh era. Unfortunately, Joe is most (in)famous for sticking out his leg before quickly pulling it back as VT’s Antonio Banks ran by him on the game-sealing pick 6 late in the 1995 VT game.

4 Likes

I remember all the controversy related to McCue, regarding Mapp’s injury. I also remember all kinds of professional athletes from a variety of professional sports regarded him as one of, if not the best hand surgeons. I remember he had a who’s who list of professional athletes that he had performed surgeries for. Obviously, depending on there hands for their careers.

Having said that, I had damaged my right ankle playing baseball in high school. He properly diagnosed it prior to seeing any scans. However, he recommended not having surgery which I now regret not having had performed.

Not denying that he helped a ton of athletes, and he had all the testimonials etc to back it. I can only go on my personal experience. Had a severe ankle injury at the start of my Jr. year of HS, he inaccurately diagnosed it and recommended that I skip major surgery and instead have a minor procedure. That ended up not working, and I basically lost my jr year of football as a result and ended up dealing with it all throughout the next year. Cost me a lot of time and recruitments. Hindsight is 20/20 and working with doctors on a daily basis in my adult life, I fully understand there’s more than one way to skin a cat, and every situation has multiple circumstances and outcomes. However, in this situation, the wrong course of action was taken, and I personally suffered as a result.

Late to the thread, but my thoughts from a skill development standpoint:

I think Tony does an incredible job at developing guys into players who can fit in at the next level. The help-side instincts and recovery of our defense might be the best in college basketball. In a spaced out NBA, these become even more magnified. Also, it seems like Tony and co. have done a good job in developing shooters over the course of his career - both in shooting and ability to navigate screens off-ball. If you can defend and shoot at a high level, you fit very well into the modern game.

I think if there is one knock on the program for pro development, it’s that the offense is a little stale/outdated. However, the move to more on-ball screen action with Ty and Kihei recently has alleviated that a bit. Still, I think guys sometimes shy away because they want more ability to develop and showcase their ability to create with the ball. I hope we continue to vary some more offensive sets and I don’t think it would throw off the rhythm too much (some of the speed DHO action that Purdue ran for Cline and Miami runs for Duncan Robinson is one that comes to mind).

3 Likes

I agree! I think offensive efficiency is a big deal to many NBA GM’s. CTB and our offensive philosophies emphasize this and I think that’s recognized. However, this can be lost on players getting plenty of opportunities in an offensive system that doesn’t emphasize soundness and efficiency due to the number of opportunities given said players. Many are lost and find difficulty contributing at the next level when faced with limited opportunities.

1 Like

Exactly. Someone mentioned this on another board a few months ago that “unless you’re a Lebron James you likely won’t be featured and get the most shots in the NBA”. So you have to be able to be smarter and have other skills to contribute. Defense, rebounding, high percentage shots, not turning the ball over etc. are all things that the NBA or other leagues value.

4 Likes

That was a comment similar to what CTB himself had made.

1 Like

I think CTB’s program is rapidly becoming known as the place for wings and shooters to develop and be profiled for the next level. Kind of like USC in the 70’s and 80’s with tailbacks. Miami and BYU quarterbacks, Georgetown and Bigs.

This is why I think we kind of shock everyone with Houstan.

1 Like

Lol actually you’re right. It may have been someone quoting or referring to CTB on another board, these ideals. Well I’m glad that he thinks this way so that he can communicate it to recruits :sweat_smile:

This x100. Bigs who can pass a little and straight-line drive from the perimeter can eat off those DHO actions too. If 2 follow the shooter, that’s an instant advantage situation, though your big has to be capable enough with the ball to capitalize by keeping it (think of the big as the QB on a play-action fake in football). Huff could get a drive-and-dunk each game off of an action like that.

1 Like

Did someone already mention that Clark made the initial list for the Cousy Award?

https://virginiasports.com/news/2020/11/02/clark-named-to-cousy-award-watch-list/

11 Likes

As you fanatics might guess the Naismith folks are not announcing all the awards at once. They are dribbling-dragging them out for a while–BUILD traffic! But one can keep up with them by visiting this Web site.

http://www.hoophallawards.com

1 Like

For those who are playing along from home, the Naismith people released the names of the West award nominees today (3 Nov.). Watching UVA hoops will permit us to see at least three of them.

3 Likes

Add Sam Hauser to the HoopHall (Naismith) awards: He’s on the initial list for the Julius Irving, small forward award.

1 Like