Virginia lands ECU transfer Jayden Gardner

25 Likes

Love the offensive fit, I’m excited for the team to have someone who’s going to try to do damage at the rim. What is he capable of defensively? Is he long/big enough to play the 5? Not a lot of blocks on his statistical profile, but I have no idea how ECU used him on D.

1 Like

He’s agile enough to hedge and all that, but I don’t think he’s been challenged to be great defensively. Could be a big adjustment. I think you want to pair him with an athlete and preferably a rim protector, whether he’s a 4 or a small 5. Kadin is perfect but he can’t be out there all the time.

10 Likes

David Joplin is announcing his decision on Wednesday. Any chance or is he following Shaka?

Assume Marquette. I don’t really know anything for certain but the feeling I got was UVA didn’t get far. “no offer” as of late last week.

2 Likes

Corey Walker is interesting. I missed the news that he was entering the portal.

2 Likes

Just watched the JG highlight video pinned to his Instagram – here’s the link:

youtu.be/Ltg54vmd6iU

DUDE IS A DAWG!!! Can get/make his own shot. Absorbs contact. Has fire! I’m optimistic and happy as F. New type of player for us, IMHO. But, to be fair, it was a highlight video! :laughing:

7 Likes

Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 10.44.05 PM
I mean …

2 Likes

Literally nothing I said here was right lol But I did get my dream, just remembered I posted this.

27 Likes

J Willy trolling HGN on these boards for potential targets? Got wind of Gardner on March 3rd and looked into it… Haha

1 Like

What was that all about ?

1 Like

Good video I found on another site About undersized PFs.

https://youtu.be/ZDEXfrTedaw

1 Like

Long youtube interview with Gardner

5 Likes

Sounds like he maybe doing a little recruiting for us.

Also, any idea we he hasn’t been officially signed and announced yet? Franklin was relatively soon after his commitment

1 Like

Sounds like he’s quite close to trey and isn’t convinced he’s definitely headed to the nba

4 Likes

CBS ranked Gardner 7 and Franklin 37 out of 53 ranked committed transfers. Our out transfers didn’t make it.

7 Likes

Most often in basketball you talk about stretching the defense out with shooters to keep defenders from cheating into the lane. Feel like our shooters (Murphy??) could really benefit from a dude like Gardner keeping defenses “honest” the other way, and having to respect an interior threat.

Hopefully no more of this ‘switch everything, run everyone off the 3-point line’ stuff that nearly every team was able to throw against us later on in the year.

3 Likes

Was there an official UVA welcome for Gardner? I remember Franklin’s.

2 Likes

Finally… :large_orange_diamond::crossed_swords::large_blue_diamond:

9 Likes

via http://cbssportsapp.com

2 Likes