šŸˆ Virginia vs Louisville, L, 24-20, 4-2 (2-1 ACC), Saturday, 12 Oct, 1530, ACCN

2 Likes

How hard of a game is this going to be for us?

Theory, and I just shared this with @Sknyluv: I think we need to win one of Louisville or SMU at home, unless we want to go to VPI with bowl eligibility on the line. The others seem pretty tough, as we sit here today (@Clem, @Pitt, @ND).

This assumes a win v UNC, which wonā€™t be a gimme either

4 Likes

Louisville is the best team weā€™ve played to date.

5 Likes

Opening at 8? Vegas has no clue what to do with Virginia

4 Likes

Iā€™d include Pitt in that ā€œother places to steal a winā€ group, even before Lville & SMU. On the road, but even at 5-0 Iā€™m still not sure how good Pitt actually is.

4 Likes

Agree Pitt might be the weakest of that group. Pitt then UofL then SMU

3 Likes

Does anyone have a parking pass theyā€™re not using for the game? Looking to buy one now.

1 Like

Beat Louisville. Put them on a 3 game losing streak. And then remind them their basketball arena is our 2nd home.

9 Likes

Pitt is a fraud. Agree with Dragon that theyā€™re way less scary than SMU and Louisville.

Are they definitely better than BC?

1 Like

Iā€™d give Louisville the edge over BC but itā€™s close. Which is what is why the opening spread was surprising to me. Keeping an eye on it, itā€™s down to UofL -7 already down a point would not be surprised to see it drop some more before KO on Saturday.

I think Louisville is pretty comfortably better than BC. Good coach and 36th in talent composite vs. 58th. Thatā€™s a pretty big gap talentwise, and I donā€™t personally see much of one in the coaching.

3 Likes

FPI gives us a 25-30% chance against UL, @Pitt, SMU and @VT. About a 55% chance against UNC. About 10% @ND and @CU.

The road to bowl eligibility pretty much has to be beat UNC and steal a win in one of those 25% games.

Or beat UNC and pray our tied for 23rd ranked APR gets us one of the unfilled bowl slots.

2 Likes

If Iā€™m remembering my stats/probability correctly (big if), that puts us right at or just below an expected value of 2 wins

Of course, Iā€™d put the odds of us winning a ā€œwin to make a bowlā€ game at VPI, when thatā€™s all they have to play for, at around the ND/Clem odds

4 Likes

I was at the BC game, and while I admired the teamā€™s persistence and tenacity (and, donā€™t get me wrong, those are HUGE traits that we didnā€™t show last year), I didnā€™t think we played particularly well. The difference in the game was a couple of big but somewhat flukey plays ā€“ a batted pass that was intercepted, and a fumble that slipped out of the quarterbackā€™s hand. It would have been just as easy to have lost by 10 points and as to win by 10.

I think weā€™ll have to play much better to beat Lousiville. In particular, we need four quarters of the kind of pass rush we generated for only two against BC. I think our secondary will struggle against Louisvilleā€™s receivers, especially with our injuries.

7 Likes

With Greene now in the portal weā€™re gonna be very thin at Safety next week. Need Caleb Hardy to really step up.

5 Likes

His brotherā€™s sticking around though?

1 Like

Kelley Ford has us at an expected 5.7 wins. Itā€™s going to be a close one.

4 Likes