šŸˆ Virginia vs Louisville, L, 24-20, 4-2 (2-1 ACC), Saturday, 12 Oct, 1530, ACCN

I donā€™t know. Shouldnā€™t be too hard to win 0.3 of a game.

4 Likes

That number feels about right l. Believe hoos were 4.5 coming in maybe bump that to 5.5 as of now. Gonna be a fun stretch run.

3 Likes
1 Like

What did I miss?

1 Like

The post right above that one lol.

2 Likes

No clue how I missed that lol. Thanks

1 Like

Clary getting hurt on that celebration and missing this week (and potentially more) is a tough one. Such a freak thing that was avoidable, but I understand being caught up in the moment of celebrating on such a huge play. Sucks for him, after being out all of last year. He is one of the big difference-makers on D.

6 Likes

Hard to believe both guys in on that key fumble recovery vs Wake arenā€™t playing this week for very different reasons.

3 Likes

In complete seriousness how many other teams have had that happen in consecutive seasons??? Last year lost DL who tore both ACLs (or something similar to that result) celebrating the play against Tennessee. Just terrible luck.

3 Likes

Kinda wild how so much of this season depends on that UNC game. Who knows, maybe we steal one against Louisville, but if we donā€™t ā€¦ that UNC game will make or break this season. Determines whether a bowl game is possible and will shape the narrative around Elliottā€™s coaching future.

5 Likes

Honestly feels like thatā€™s been the case with most of the games this season. The Wake Forest game was a must win to get the ball rolling. Boston College was a must win to keep the ball rolling. Iā€™d rather argue that Saturdayā€™s game is a massive/make or break game. Go 3-0 in the conference, get that fifth win and take the pressure off for later etc.

I think the key for me is for the first time in 4 maybe 5 years there are stakes attached to Virginia football. Every game is a must win because we can see the light at the end of the tunnel and a bowl game appearance, but we all also agree the team is not good enough to just stroll in and win every game so the ones that are winnable are magnified.

8 Likes

Reminds me so much of Benkertā€™s senior season. Felt like every win was huge for bowl eligibility and then we stole that home game against GT to seal it

5 Likes

Iā€™m just not super confident about this weekend. Cards are the best team weā€™ve seen this year. Injuries are starting to pile up with Twitty, Clary, and Tyree missing this week on top of Greene quitting. Offense was underwhelming last week, not a single long touchdown drive.

3 Likes

Injuries feel like the real killer this week. Any small chance we had feels razor thin now.

4 Likes

I will say I was pretty pessimistic going into last weekend. Louisville is better, but Iā€™m not completely sure theyā€™re a mile better. And we usually play them pretty tough in general. Missing Clary sucks but I think having Kam back at 100% (or close to?) is more critical than missing Clary is.

2 Likes

Sure, itā€™d be nice to win this weekend, but itā€™ll be tough and I donā€™t think its any more of a must win than vs SMU or Pitt. The game vs UNC thoughā€¦ that is a must win, especially if we do lose to Louisville.

If we beat UNC, then we have 4 fairly equal chances at win #6 (including the Louisville game which would have already happened). Its very far from 100% but weā€™ve got a fighting chance. If we lose vs UNC, weā€™re not necessarily cooked but its a very uphill fight.

Edit - Looking at the schedule, Iā€™m just assuming weā€™re going to roll into Blacksburg with 5 wins. Because of course we are. Thatā€™s how it works.

8 Likes

The only real key is to have 6 wins before Tech gameā€¦ they already have enough motivation but to also prevent the Hoos from bowling would make the task insurmountable.

4 Likes

This is another winnable game, different challenge than BC but Louisville isnā€™t some juggernaut and we get them at home. Theyā€™ve got a solid QB, one really good freshman RB and a very deep WR core but their OL is super suspect especially at the Tackle spots. We need to have a consistent pass rush and force Shough to have to evade the pocket and make uncomfortable plays, much like we did to Castellanos last week. Their defense has also struggled mightily against containing mobile QBā€™s, so we might need AC to be active in the ground game to keep their front 7 honest.

Win the turnover battle, donā€™t beat ourselves, create pressure and commit to the run. None of our remaining games on the schedule will be easy but weā€™re capable of winning this.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s the scary opportunity for the team to exploit. UofL has given up a rushing TD to a QB every game this season and several of them are big break opportunities.

Iā€™m not pessimistic about this game. Will it be tough? Absolutely. But thereā€™s a reason the Cardinals have dropped 2 in a row, they are good not great. This Hoos team trends closer to good than bad and they deserve that respect.

5 Likes

I have both qbs, the Louisville WR Brooks, Neville and Bettridge on my fantasy team, and the only one not starting is Shough. First half of BC, had him pencilled in for this week, but now I am a true believer in our team (still starting Brooks tho, bc a reasonable caveat feels appropriate).

3 Likes