🏀 Virginia vs NC State, Wed, 24 Jan, 1900, ACCN

Let’s keep the streak alive! Both current win and home!
Streak GIF

7 Likes

Already pumped. Win and we’ve officially got some in season momentum with Louisville and a revenge home game against ND to follow.

This is a big one!

9 Likes

Minor in foul trouble against Burns is going to be the decider here imo. Minor is prone to foul issues and Burns is prone to get guys in trouble.

2 Likes

I think our biggest issue to watch is whether we continue to double Burns outside the 3-point arc…

3 Likes

Will be interesting how we play that particular game of chess with Minor now more in play. I defended what Tony did the last time, unlike the rest of the ingrates around here who are constantly criticizing the guy from their comfy armchairs.

But at that point, I thought Minor was more or less off the roster. Fortunately he started playing well in practice just in time!

2 Likes

Shocked Family Feud GIF by ABC Network

9 Likes

I’m a little nervous about defending Burns related to Ndongo and Claude from GT going 8-for-9 from 2 against us, but I’m willing to entertain the argument that Ndongo might just be really good and maybe even a tougher cover than Burns? He shoots better from 2 than Burns and draws more fouls. And with Minor in we can make Burns defend screening actions way more often.

1 Like

Claude and Ndongo went 8-9 from 2 and we won by double digits before we went “try not to lose” mentality offense.

Let DJ Burns also get 8-9 from 2, and give them 3 less open momentum breaking 3s/in rhythem ball movement 3s when the game is still back and forth. Boom.

5 Likes

Yes. We outscored GT 34-18 on points in the paint.

8 Likes

Which speaks to @AdventiveQuasar point: make Burns defend screens. Make him have to help when Reece beats his own man so that Dunn/Minor can get the easy dump off pass.

5 Likes

And NCSU’s rim protection numbers are kinda bad; they give up the 3rd most rim attempts in the rim along ACC teams (lol Syracuse at the bottom) and the percentage they give up isn’t good either (lol Syracuse almost at the bottom).

1 Like

Minor appears to be a tough guy to move. Ndongo had 15 yesterday but both him and Lynn Kidd weren’t able to back Minor down in the post. I think Mike young used the word stonewall. Teams can’t bully him like they did Buchanan and groves.

3 Likes

Stoned, actually
Half Baked Yes GIF

5 Likes
12 Likes

I might be mistaken, but I don’t think any Virginian is allowed to use Stonewall as a nickname anymore.

5 Likes

Burns is fun to watch, has a ton of skill, and draws plenty of fouls.

But he also makes boneheaded plays and picks up tons of fouls. Let’s make him defend, let him foul, and win this one by 10.

Always remember: CTB owns the ACC regular season. I’m on top-four watch.

8 Likes

Burns is one of my favorite players to watch. He’s in that Jameis Winston / Kerr Krissa / Colandrea mold where something entertaining happens every time he has the ball, you just don’t know if it’s gonna be a TD or an INT

5 Likes

Could also throw Caleb Love and Rob Dillingham in there for this season. Markus Howard was a legend in the space

2 Likes

Also, appreciate Markus Howard deciding to come back and causing Sam Hauser to transfer here

8 Likes

Let’s look at Burns’ career 3 point shooting.

3 Likes