šŸ€ Virginia vs NC State, Wed, 24 Jan, 1900, ACCN

Had no clue he played 3 years at Winthrop

Edit: hold up he originally went to Tennessee and redshirted like a man!

But youā€™re not taking into account the eye test and his secondary playmaker ability from beyond the arc.

The tough choice that Burns forces out there is not that he will shoot from out there, but that he will start his drives (or back-in, more likely) from out there, and heā€™s pretty nimble on his feet, and can drive, and score at the rim, or score on some mid-range garbage, using the rim.

So you either cover him straight up (but Minor wasnā€™t practicing well, so we couldnā€™t play him at Raleigh, and therefore couldnā€™t guard him straight up), or you double him as soon as he gets it (which we did, to bad effect), or you do @Cuts_from_The_Cornerā€™s idea and you try to double him after heā€™s made his initial move. We did an extensive dialogue about that in the NCSU Cuts thread, if anyone wants to read it. I mostly think that other teams just cover him straight up, but (1) itā€™s more of a thing for us to double bigs, (2) other teams tend to have a more credible post defender than us (until Minor emerged), and (3) other teams in the ACC will try to score a lot of points to win games irregardless of what happens on defense, and that hasnā€™t been our thing.

4 Likes

To be fair, thatā€™s never been our thing.

Two counterexamples:

(Marshall isnā€™t really a counterexample, but we did score 100 points!)

3 Likes

I get it, but those are two games. I was just saying it isnā€™t consistently our thing.

2 Likes

Wow thatā€™s worse than Gertrude

2 Likes

Flashback

https://twitter.com/beastboyburns/status/985943892108378114

18 Likes

I was at the Marshall game. Iā€™d like that to happen again

2 Likes

Imagine him hard hedgingā€¦

5 Likes

Gettinā€™ a little ACCN up in here
simon cowell GIF

Opponents perspective from Keatts. Complimentary of Reece, Isaac, Dunn and Minor

3 Likes

pbp - Jay Alter
Color - Malcolm Huckaby

worked in ATL, letā€™s go for a two-fer

6 Likes

I like the timing of this one.

We looked terrible against them just a few weeks ago, should still be fresh in the mind. But now weā€™ve put together back-to-back decent performances, and theyā€™ve got to come to our house.

Good chance to (potentially) show some direct improvement.

2 Likes

So, youā€™re saying heā€™s due.

1 Like

Hoos -5.5 (-5 at some books) up from -3.5 at opening. Seems fair to me. Weā€™re better and at home.

Hope the internet holds on this floating raft hotel in Thailand at 7 am tomorrow :crossed_fingers:

13 Likes

Perfect game to at some point play Dante Reece Eli Dunn or Bond and Blake or Minor for a few minutes

1 Like

Agree. A lot of thing went wrong in game 1, but felt like they were bigger, faster, stronger mostly across the board. Minor should help on the ā€œbiggerā€ part.

4 Likes

They were definitely the aggressors. Guard moved well and of course made tough shots. Middleton another tough inside presence as well

3 Likes

If we just replicate first 10 minutes plus a confident, aggressive iMac then we win by a billion.

BIG IF

1 Like