🏀 Virginia vs Pitt, Tue 13 Feb, 1900, ACC Network

10 Likes

Pitt is a fundamentally sound unit, fairly impressive given they start 2 freshman in the backcourt. They don’t turn the ball over much and take a lot of 3’s offensively, with Hinson being the premier shooter. Would LOVE a guy like him as a grad transfer next year…

Defensively they’re very sound rebounding and have one of the best block %’s in the entire country.

They’re coming in having won 5 of 6 including winning in Cameron and winning at NC State last week. They’re looking to sneak into the tournament as they did last year, when they went from play in game to round of 32.

All that said we’re the more talented squad, and getting to play at home. Take care of the ball, run our sets crisp and execute.

16 Likes

Carlton Carrington by the numbers and size reads like a big big time player. Is he NBA potential?

2 Likes

I hate to do this before we play them, but no I don’t really think so. Under 30% from 3, under 40 % from the field and doesn’t really collect blocks or steals. Sound college guy though if he can improve on his shooting splits he could maybe get there after a solid career. Should have a good pro career I just don’t think it’s in the Association.

1 Like

Bub was getting 1st round even lottery hype early in the season. But like Josh said he’s fallen off a lot…he’s still averaging 13 a game in ACC but shooting 36/24. If he wanted to go, he’d probably get drafted. But gotta think he’ll be advised to stay another year at this point.

Meanwhile Jaland Lowe has come on. He’s really become their go to guard, averaging a pretty efficient 13 since being put into the startling lineup these last 9 games. Heck of a freshman backcourt if they can keep them together.

10 Likes

Once again, how awesome for the league…. Good number of teams that have been down building some sound cores for the future (hopefully). If the ACC manages to stay together basketball could return to the top sooner than later.

4 Likes

I knew nothing about him but knowing his name is Bub I am an enormous fan now

5 Likes

He started the year 14-27 from 3 through 4 games. Definitely had the buzz. I hope him and Lowe stick around at Pitt for awhile. Now if Hinson wants to grad transfer, on the other hand…

3 Likes

He’s named after his dad who’s a coach in Baltimore…used to run the Baltimore Elite AAU program. Little Bub.

7 Likes

2-0 this week against two good teams and we’re set for the tournament but also in good position to win the regular season

2 Likes

Then google bubb rubb and lil sis. it’s SFW and a youtube classic.

2 Likes

Wonder how we match up defensively.

Their 3 guards are all heavy minutes/usage guys: basically the engine of the team. And they only go 7 deep with Leggett being the only guard off the bench

Wonder if we go

Reece on Lowe
Dunn on Hinson
Rohde on Austin
McKneely on Carrington?

7 Likes

That’s how I’d start especially with Lowe playing well lately. But if need to Reece can switch. Dunn shutting down Hinson is matchup of the game for me. Time for RD to earn that lotto money.

9 Likes

I wonder if this is more a Minor game or a Buchanan game. Federiko is a classic low-usage rim runner and G. Diaz Graham is a stretch big. I think maybe this lines up better for Buchanan, but Minor can throw around thinner bigs like Federiko and Diaz Graham some on the boards.

1 Like

They’ll both play, but this is a better matchup for Minor than the last few have been. Federiko squared isn’t really an offensive threat himself, Minor bodying him and keeping him away from the paint/rim should be a good matchup. I could see Blake more on Graham with the size/shooting ability.

4 Likes

you think Hinson would fit Tony’s five pillars?

Not sure, but after this I’d take him on my team any day.

19 Likes

Haha I mean he’s definitely passionate and can shoot for days, we could figure the rest out

Pillar #6: fuck Duke

20 Likes

:joy: classic!