VT game thread (1/18)

Because of course the guy who always kills us is gonna be back

4 Likes

Catoor being back makes things a little more difficult, ideally you want Reece to guard Pedulla and cut the head off of their offense but then that creates a bit of a matchup issue for Kihei. I guess you could stick him on Maddox and maybe be fine, but I’d imagine that we’re gonna see Reece on Catoor and Kihei on Pedulla at least to start the game.

3 Likes

Yeah I’d agree with those matchups. I also think you can put Armaan on Maddox and be fine. He might cook Mckneely tho

1 Like

I’m going to stay optimistic and say even though Cattoor is back, he won’t be 100%. And that we should be able to beat them even with Cattoor.

But it’s the kind of season where we can beat (almost) anyone, and lose to (almost) anyone.

2 Likes

Young hasn’t been completely forthright on injuries. He may play, but that hedge of a quote means little.

2 Likes

We should be able to beat them at home even if they have Catoor.

3 Likes

What happened to Maddox this year? Down like 20 percentage points on 3s and 10 percentage points on 2s.

Lots of attention on him without Cattoor and Aluma

1 Like

I expect him to play, but mike young has been saying this for the past 5 games

2 Likes

He’s not good, put simply. He shot well when not the focus last year but doesn’t have much ability to get his shot off and less ability to get to the rim. He’s a bench player at best in the ACC but I’m sure me saying this means he finally gets going. Also should add he and Pedulla are traffic cones on defense so should be able to get to the basket for buckets and kick outs fairly easily.

I’d go Kihei on Pedulla, Reece on Cattoor, Franklin on Maddox

4 Likes

He’s waiting for Wednesday night to finally go 6 for 7 from deep.

11 Likes

I still have 3 tickets if anyone needs any

1 Like

Interesting

1 Like

Are they speculating who? After Catoor It’d be Pedulla, Mutts, then Bassile as far as them being screwed.

Increased minutes for someone who shouldn’t be playing much: Lynn Greer that lanky back up forward? So Basile or Mutts?

idk could be guards

Basile would be my guess. Mutts would be as significant as Catoor imo

1 Like

1 Like

How’s everyone feeling about this one?

Hate Tech coming off 5 straight losses and likely getting Cattoor back. He’s always played well against us, but I do think we match up at guard well. Kihei should get under Pedulla’s skin and Beekman or Gardner should be able to match up well defensively against Cattoor. One of those two will be guarded by Maddox and we need to take advantage of that matchup on offense.

If Cattoor doesn’t play I don’t see how they generate enough offense to beat us. If he’s back then I could see a scenario where we shoot like first FSU game bad and they hit enough shots to win but I’m more confident with how we’ve been playing lately. Hate these games because beating them doesn’t mean a whole lot but losing is always rubbed in our faces.

Should add that Aluma was our kryptonite the last two years. VERY glad not to have him in this one and think Basile is far more guardable.

3 Likes

still available?

Broken finger for Rice is the rumor.

3 Likes