VT game thread (1/18)

https://virginiasports.com/news/2023/01/17/no-10-virginia-hosts-virginia-tech-in-smithfield-commonwealth-clash/

2 Likes

Itā€™s f%ck&^g VPI. Just beat the living crap out of them.

7 Likes

https://richmond.com/sports/college/rivals-headed-in-different-directions-as-slumping-virginia-tech-visits-no-10-uva/article_aada0024-9685-11ed-af0c-733a427c5e1b.html?fbclid=IwAR1Yqgr1gfFsvxU_YiS2ZlzV-M4rgTXyZLZ8vTfgFTTa7X0wHRx0Z2eG-UU&mibextid=Zxz2cZ

1 Like

Every year we always seem to have one nailbiter we win and then a not close game that either the Hoos or Tech wins comfortably. Iā€™m hoping for the Hoos blow out tomorrow.

P.S. can Kansas State please win a national title in something so VPI is the only school without one?

8 Likes

Recent history says we should probably expect a low scoring game. Since Mike Young arrived, UVA has won 3 of 5. Highest score was a 65-51 VT win in 2021. They seem to embrace the grind against UVA. Our last two wins came down to the last possession, 56-53 on Kiheiā€™s buzzer beater in Bburg and last yearā€™s 54-52 win at home when VT missed a three at the horn.

13 Likes

Only not close ACC loss for them was last game @Cuse (without Cattoor). If he plays then I expect a battle, especially since Mike Young had a week to prepare. I think heā€™s a solid coach and theyā€™ll have some wrinkles that force us to adjust. Hoping to see some shots fall in the first 10 min or so unlike UNC game, and a strong start in the first 4 min of 2nd half. Hope the students bring the energy and we put together our most complete home game of the year

6 Likes

Counterpoint: They were healthy and our team wasnā€™t as good as this year.

I bet Virginia beating the -6.5 spread. Letā€™s go.

3 Likes

Interesting wording there. ā€œWill be availableā€ doesnā€™t scream ā€œwill playā€. Maybe Iā€™m reading into that too much but could mean heā€™s available in a limited capacity

4 Likes

I think thatā€™s fairly typical language. I would assume less than 100% given that itā€™s first game back.

6 Likes

One could make some cash simply betting against UVA to cover in every game all year ā€¦
So far 5-11 vs the spread. Only team worse in the ACC is Notre Dame.
The last time UVA had a winning record against the spread was 2019 ā€¦ also a winning record ATS every year from 2011-2019 ā€¦

2 Likes

Nice. Looks like I got a 30% chance to win some money tonight.

1 Like

That being said - it would seem of all the games we could or should - it would be tonight ā€¦ but we usually donā€™t score well vs Tech

2 Likes

Itā€™s interesting to think about the impact of a guy like Cattoor, because heā€™s someone that attracts a ton of attention (ā€œgravityā€) while being really low usage. There are games this season whereā€™s heā€™s taken only 5-6 shots with barely any FT attempts. VT leverages his shooting threat in effective ways by having him fly around screens and dribble handoffs, but I do wonder if you can neutralize him by focusing on shutting down Pedulla and Mutts as playmakers. I think I might put Reece on Pedulla for that reason, even though Reece is so good as a chase defender getting around screens to stay attached to shooters.

3 Likes

anyone got one spare ticket for tonight?

(going to a hoo)

1 Like

Honestly Iā€™m just happy Aluma is gone. That dude destroyed us

10 Likes

I wish weā€™d put Reece on every teamā€™s PG and cut off the head ā€¦ problem is who can Kihei then guard?
I wonder if he could guard Maddox and Collins and put Armaan on Cattoor?

1 Like

Not much to say except for thisā€¦

Bass Tech

7 Likes

The vaunted Water of 35 winner

What I hope to see tonight

If we go small, BVP adequately defend Basile et al in the post.

Armaan continue his driving and post up game against VT guards

Energy. Donā€™t be out hustled or out energy by these guys

The crowd into it start to finish

Hoos win!

9 Likes