WBB Scrimmages

Should We Ignore UVA Women’s Basketball Team Preseason Games As We Await The Regular Season?

10/24 Scrimmage vs. VCU - L
10/31 Scrimmage vs. George Mason - L

The preseason games are not a big deal for many, but I’m sure they are a big deal for the players on UVA women’s basketball roster. So far it seems like whatever line up it will be, this team will not even be able to compete against low major teams. So is the problem coaching, or the roster?

3 Likes

Yes

4 Likes

The problems are the same because it all comes back to Tina Thompson

4 Likes

Barring a very unlikely and interesting turn of events, this season will probably be a disaster. We’re picked to finish dead last in the ACC and the roster has gone through a ton of turnover. It’s gonna be a ride.

Somewhat related - does anyone know what Thompson’s buyout falls to at the end of the season?

4 Likes

If anyone wants a positive WBB take: I thought Amandine Toi looked really good in the blue-white scrimmage. She was really quick off the dribble.

Beyond that, I’ve got nothing. I guess, picked to finish last in the ACC — nowhere to go but up?

7 Likes

Glad to hear you were impressed with by Amandine. Overall all Coach Thompson has gotten hammered on the recruiting trail and has proven ineffective at developing what talent they do have. But honestly they are so far behind the starting line with the level of talent I’m not sure anyone could coach them up enough to be competitive. A gull regime change is needed.

2 Likes

Not to mention VCU just lost in a closed scrimmage to VT by 40+. It was so bad they stopped the scrimmage early lol. VT is preseason top 25 but still.

1 Like

I don’t really follow WBB so didn’t fully comprehend the Tina hate until I saw her at the Blue-White.

Her team was enjoying a moment on the court celebrating their win against the scout team. Her body language was terrible (looked disgusted) and she was essentially yelling at them to get off the court…

3 Likes

Tammi Reiss come on down!!! Please!!! She’s doing a great job at Rhode Island.

7 Likes

Looking at the stat sheet, I wouldn’t say Tammi is killing it at Rhode Island but I have no idea what state the program was in when she took over. All that said, she does seem to be on the right trajectory and I think it’s safe to say the Tina Thompson experience is not working and Dawn Staley is never stepping foot back in Charlottesville. Does Tammi have the same animosity towards the program as Dawn over their treatment of Ryan at the end?

EDIT: Going down the rabbit hole on Tammi and seeing what’s she’s up to and I like what I saw. Ton of energy seems to have a great relationship with her players, and has the mindset you need to build.

9 Likes

The Dawn Staley situation will never cease to upset me. UVA had a Nick-Saban-esque coach in terms of program building come through the WBB program… and somehow made her want to never even consider coming back to coach.

6 Likes

Honestly I see it as the biggest black eye on the athletics program. A miss that the program probably will never be able to recover from seeing the trajectory of her career and what she’s built. Not many like that out there.

5 Likes

For a generally successful athletic department we’ve made some wild mistakes

4 Likes

It is pretty impressive when you think about what the athletic department has achieved against some of the wild misses.

2 Likes

Obviously hindsight is 20/20 but to force Debbie Ryan out was very short-sighted. She deserved to go out when she wanted and it’s cost us with Dawn. Hopefully Tammi is open to coming back. We shall see. Is this the last year of Tina’s contract btw?

3 Likes

I wonder if Jenny Boucek would consider coming back to take over the program. She or TReiss would be phenomenel and agree Dawn never goes back. She is killing it

4 Likes

Good point Fresh. Forgot about Jenny. She’s on Carlisle’s staff with the Pacers.

1 Like

Yep. Incredible resume as WNBA head coach (very tough job I am guessing) and now seeing how NBA programs are run and being a part of that.

Both she and Tammi are high energy positive people and big time competitors

7 Likes

Jenny be great to see on the Virginia Sideline, but I wonder if she wants to do the college ball route. She’s been in the pros coaching for over 20 years.

For sure. Her aspirations maybe to be an NBA head coach. Dont know but could try and find out ha

4 Likes