WBB Scrimmages

I’d be curious to know. I get the vibe that she’s on a similar trajectory as Becky Hammon and eying an NBA gig. Wonder is Rick is preparing her the same way Pops is with Becky.

2 Likes

A while back I was complaining about TT’s social media and appearances not representing the school at all and gave a couple of (carefully chosen) examples of coaches who do a good job.

10 Likes

I know nothing about the Debbie Ryan situation but I’ve always bristled at this general suggestion. UVa employed her for three decades plus and I suspect she was among the top 5% of UVa staff in terms of salary for a good chunk of that time. Seems like a good run and we treated her pretty well. Her name wasn’t Diocletian and these aren’t lifetime appointments. Boomers need to know when it’s time to move on with their life and join book clubs. Too many of them want to Logan Roy the whole thing.

Thinking about this a bit more - to be clear, I’m all for giving long time beloved, successful coaches a bit more leeway, but I’m not for giving long time beloved, successful coaches unlimited leeway, which seems like has happened in some prominent situations (Bobby Bowden?). And like I said, I don’t know where UVa fit on that spectrum in the Ryan situation…

1 Like

Also those two would be my first two calls when replacing TT.

Ok Dawn would be my first call and she wouldn’t take the call, but then I’d call those two.

7 Likes

My “research” into Coach Reiss was scrolling her social this morning and honestly it jumped out at me as how good it was. She absolutely portrays the exact image you want from a coach. Not sure if she picked that up on her own or has some training from a marketing/PR person but she’s killing it.

4 Likes

Killing it recruiting too. She’s got some quality transfers and some nice international kids too. Picked to finish 2nd in A-10 with a few first place votes (I bet they win the league).

4 Likes

I’m honestly impressed. I knew she was up there but had not paid close attention. But seeing the buzz and some of the players she’s got in, it’s impressive. A quick turnaround too, she’s only in year 3 and already at/near the top of the conference.

3 Likes

My call to Dawn would start with “Have you ever just wanted to do something crazy?”

6 Likes

I’d start mine with “So you don’t really want all that money right? Cause they say it’s the first million that’s the hardest, so this should be easy.”

2 Likes

Don’t know what the background check and interviewing process is that out AD uses when hiring a new coach but it failed miserably on the TT hire. Why did she even accept the job in the first place? She has seemed miserable and disinterested in UVA from the moment she arrived.

1 Like

I get the sense some people said no and Carla either got desperate or went for the very high risk/reward hire (or a combo of both) after getting turned down a few times. But I don’t remember much from that search process

3 Likes

Even if she’s never coming here to coach, I hope the new administration is trying hard to mend fences with Staley. The old guard is gone, so hopefully Carla can try to turn the page with her.

6 Likes

Think that’s already been accomplished. Dawn was at the Uhaul implosion and has spoken positively about Carla in the past.

6 Likes

Phew.

Difficult to recognize the talent on this team when the coach is killing each players unique abilities. The guard heavy roster should destroy teams with fast break, incredible ball movement, off the ball movement, 3 point shooting threat, and overly aggressive defense.

UVA WBB: :cricket::cricket::cricket::cricket::cricket:

Rhode Island at UVA in women’s hoops at noon on Friday, November 26!

5 Likes

Was making it rain in Slaughter as a first year while a bunch of us were just shooting around. Jenny was in the group for some reason. She was standing under the basket waiting on a board to get the ball for her turn to shoot and was not paying a lot of attention. Had a shot go through the net and crack her right in the head.

Ooops!

4 Likes

TT looks annoyed, bothered, and disgusted. No coach can win young women over with illusory superiority.

1 Like

Funny story. You were makin it rain? Also Dena Evans one the best. Our girl Dena Deans

4 Likes

Unguarded threes at the old college line? Piece of cake! :sunglasses:

3 Likes