Well it appears UNC fans are having buyers remorse

I do not want to be Djokovic. No. Please.

3 Likes

Lol, seriously. My wife and younger daughter are HUGE tennis fans, both UVA and professional, and they HATE Djovavich (sic) for reasons I’ve never been clear in.

3 Likes

Brilliantly methodical, impenetrable defense, exceedingly victorious, and jealous of the love the other two get? Analogy probably ends there, because he has some anger issues and can be a bit puerile at times. I’m a Fed fan but also love Nadal, and Joker not so much, so I guess I’m guilty.

2 Likes

I mean, I definitely see the similarities in that sense. But I just do not like him at all, haha. Zero desire to be the Djokovic of anything, despite his clear skill.

2 Likes

I can name three reasons myself: He threw a Covid Super-Spreader event before the French Open? in 2020- because he’s arrogant. Secondly he complained about Simone Biles management of her mental health and then of course goes nuts during the Olympics this summer. In addition his anger issues of beaming a line judge with a tennis ball 2 years ago?

So yeah- he’s flawed.

1 Like

Those were exactly some of the things I was referring to by “anger issues” and “puerile”. Add in the obsequious “everybody love me” swan-dive celebration at the end of matches. But he’s not an evil dude and does and says some very thoughtful things at times.

Yeah, but that’s all relatively recent stuff. The tennis fans in my family have hated him pretty much forever.

5 Likes

Oh interesting!- I didn’t mind him until all of that stuff arose recently. I’ll have to check out his older antics.

1 Like

Carolina Sucks.

5 Likes

My mother-inlaw is a massive tennis fan. I assumed being a Djokovic is a good thing. I will have to check in with her now to learn why it isn’t

1 Like

Hmm I need to delete my earlier comment. Thanks to you I can save myself a conversation with my mother-inlaw. Djocovik sucks.

4 Likes

The main complaint by UNC fans is that HD appears to have no set offense (just roll the ball out NBA style) and no defensive plan. Hero ball on offense. UNC fans saw this up close with Sidney Lowe and Gottfried at NCSU. Dean Smith had a system and so did Roy Williams.

The evidence so far suggest that HD is rolling the ball out and playing street ball. At least thats the gripe from some UNC fans. Not necessarily from message boards only but talk on the street. I live in Raleigh.

2 Likes

Of course I would take the Djoker comparison. He performs in majors. Period. And out efforts most.
20 freakin major titles. And yes - it takes 6 wins to win a major tourney.

2 Likes

Well they actually do have a potential proven alum waiting in the wings… Wes Miller looks as good as advertised at Cinct but they’re probably 5-7 years away from hiring him.

5 Likes

It takes 7 wins. Field of 128. Fed, Rafa, and Djoker all with 20 majors. Closest active player is 3 majors I think. Those 3 guys are all amazing.

3 Likes

:roll_eyes: heaven forbid. Let’s make sure that any analogies don’t involved “flawed” people.

I don’t get your point? Are you criticizing me or Djokovic?

1 Like

Super nice dude (at least away from tennis) yet the villain of the sport. Think it fits pretty well. Or at least it does when we have a Ty type that the rest of the country doesn’t like.

I just don’t think he’s a super nice dude, at all really. I’ve disliked him since he came on the scene. He’s arrogant and cannot contain his anger when things aren’t going his way. And it’s not like he put all that behind him and it was just his younger days. He was just kicked out of the US Open a year ago for smacking a ball in anger and hitting a lineswoman in the throat, for example. But anyway, that’s me. Some of this is just personal preference

This is also a weird conversation, haha. Let’s just agree we’re great!

Look I don’t expect the word of an internet stranger to change your mind but keep in mind athletes and celebrities are real people that are often vastly different from their public personas. And many athletes that are a holes during their sport are great people outside of the arena. In fact that’s what offensive and defensive lines are built off of lol

Some people who are heroes in public suck in private and vice versa. Won’t list some of the names of the former to avoid stirring the pot lol but my sister interacts with Djokovic and his wife a decent amount and she is pretty clear they are the nicest athlete couple she works with.

2 Likes