Well it appears UNC fans are having buyers remorse

That’s good to hear. And I’m glad they treat people well - that is hugely important. So I won’t push back on that.

That said, you can also evaluate people based on how they act in the sport, which is their place of work. Being passionate and tough as nails are great. Smashing rackets, constantly bitching at refs, hitting things in frustration that hit other people, etc. are things it is fair to judge him on as well. As is everything he did over the past year and a half. My opinion of him is probably going to be that he’s a great tennis player who knows how to treat people off the court, but that he cannot control his anger/arrogance in the sport he plays and thinks he knows more than people about things he probably doesn’t. So I’m going to continue not liking him, haha.

2 Likes

Yea not trying to say you should necessarily like him. Sports villains are healthy imo. Or even that he’s agood guy (don’t want to go too far down the rabbit hole about how niceness and goodness aren’t always the same thing lol). Just felt like I couldn’t read the discussion on him without throwing my second hand experience 0.02 in there.

Anyway may UNC lose every game in every sport except when they play Tech or Duke.

2 Likes

Now the Wes Miller vs Hubert Davis debate is blowing up on twitter amongst UNC fans. After only 6 games. It seems split 50/50. Some of these UNC fans want him fired NOW. That will not happen … but damn what a tough crowd.

2 Likes

That makes their fathers and/or coaches more impressed. I have adolescent children… According to them and their friends, MJ is no longer the mythical figure he was even ten years ago. He’s nearly 60 years old now. Nowadays, kids compare him to LeBron, and MJ rarely comes out on top. It’s difficult for guys like me (in my late 40s) to comprehend, but times change.

1 Like

It’s a generational thing which is nothing new. From Elgin Baylor to Julius Irving to Michael Jordan to LaBron James is a progression which will never end. There will be someone new in another two decades. It would be interesting to see how many of MJs fans have ever seen Elgin Baylor play. The more things change, the more they stay the same!

They might not care as much about Michael as an individual player but the Jordan brand is huge and that’s the bigger deal. UNC=Jordan brand and the billions it generates more than UNC=Michael the basketball player

2 Likes

I wish the best for all of our players even when they transfer (except when they play us) and honestly, feel very bad for McKoy. Only a minute of playing time against Furman??? Hope he at least enjoys the college life in Chapel Hill.

7 Likes

Yes … The allure of greener grass does not always pay off. He is at or near the end of the bench.

2 Likes

Wonder where he goes next year

1 Like

Unc Charlotte is the obvious choice under Sanchez. If I were Tony I’d tell Sanchez to pass. But Tony’s a far less vengeful person than I am.

2 Likes

I’m assuming if he didn’t like how he was used in the offense here, I doubt he’d like it at Charlotte. I’d bet on a more up tempo system. Maybe Davidson. Or (barf) VT.

No. The Charlotte roster doesn’t mimic the uva roster.

He got ONE minute against Furman. This transfer is looking more and more like a disaster. Have to believe he would be seeing 10 to 15 minutes a game at UVA this yr unless there is someting i am missing

2 Likes

It is a one time transfer rule correct? If he transfers again… it is the “sit out” rules like before right?

1 Like

Yes, I was actually being a little sarcastic. And @TobaccoRdHoo is right. I’m sure he would be getting 15 minutes a game at least if he were still here.IMO

1 Like

At this point Justin wants his diploma to either say Virginia or UNC I think. so UNC it should be

5 Likes

Really his mistake was decommitting from Penn State. Probably would have had minutes for him from the get go.

2 Likes

What many may be missing is the quality of life that was terrible on grounds at Virginia last year.
The administrative orders that locked everything down cause there to be terrible quality of life for all the students that were on campus last year. By transferring to North Carolina he was able to go home anytime he wanted to and have a much better quality of life. There was likely no way to know for any student what this year was going to be like as far as student life. Being locked up for a whole year would wear on anybody and especially young people. And no one would want to repeat it.

7 Likes

I think the situation was worse for UVA athletes because there were team rules that were even more restrictive than the ones for the general student population. I could be wrong, but I believe one of the rules for student athletes was basically no going home because of the risk of picking up the virus and bringing it back to the team. So I don’t think McKoy would have been allowed to visit his family last season even if he lived closer.

One of my kids was in her fourth year at UVA last year, and actually had a good year socially even with all the restrictions. So not a terrible quality of life on grounds for all students. Probably not the same for athletes though.

5 Likes