Welp, we have a potential transfer target

I’m surprised by this. Coming from the Wisconsin insider from Rivals.

4 Likes

I’m basing this on nothing but hearsay but why would we want him?

2 Likes

This is all fog of war stuff so take it for what it’s worth. I immediately had a reliable non-UVA source tell me he’s hearing Marquette. And I’m sure McNamara is a fine reporter, but I’ll just say that he wasn’t very on top of the Hauser situation when I was monitoring every source. So keep that in mind too.

3 Likes

I kind of thought that way because it doesn’t make much sense to me

1 Like

Makes no sense to me. Not a position of need, and it’s not like he’s shown well at Wisconsin.

1 Like

Oh I’m not trying to downplay it. It’s just that if you’ve followed these type situations you know it’s often very messy, reporting included. There’s always two sides. Who the player is interested in and which schools are interested in him. UVA does have a prior relationship with him. We’ll see what else comes out. This is just the first drip.

1 Like

If he’s coming to Virginia, it’s only because recruiting hit thermonuclear meltdown. No way Bennett is taking a redshirt junior who has to sit a year to play one year for a guy who shoots 30% from 3 and can’t defend. And is leave Wisky under a cloud.

That makes zero sense.

Why do we get so excited about absolutely everyone who hits the transfer petal?

1 Like

Well he’s a versatile defender who can create his own shot a little at 6’4…that’s pretty much exactly what UVA is looking for this Spring. And I’m sure King expects to get a waiver to play immediately with 2 years left. I’m surprised by it only because of the circumstances. Like I said, we’ll see if anything comes of it. Possibly a fuss for nothing.

1 Like

I took a quick look at his stats and one stuck out to me. 25% from 3. As far as I know we are still in good with Keels plus checking out several others so I don’t understand it.

“Versatile defender”?

Nope. He’s a lousy defender, which has limited his minutes.

He is their most versatile offensive weapon (even though, as many have noted, he’s a 25% three point shooter.)

This is just a bad take. Unless Bennett thinks he can reinvent him during a redshirt year, he’s a bad fit all around.

And I’m not even getting into the issues leading to his departure…

2 Likes

a 6’4 athlete is capable of guarding multiple positions=versatile. And again, let’s wait and see what comes out. Fuss over nothing, certainly nothing yet.

2 Likes

No, you’re not a “versatile defender” if you’re well-known as a poor defender. Watch him in film. Not sure why you’re pushing this narrative — maybe you’ve confused him with someone else? King has his strengths, but defense ain’t one of them.

Kobe king defense

Here’s the relevant part (and this is from a month ago): “[King], the former La Crosse Central standout is arguably UW’s most versatile weapon on the offensive end, but it’s no secret his struggles on defense have kept him from being on the court for longer stretches.”

The front door to UVA folks isn’t open on this subject. The only backdoor source I could get comment from downplays it. Vibe I get maybe they have or are doing some due diligence but it’s pretty unlikely to go anywhere.

3 Likes

By my count, there is one scholarship remaining to use this spring, barring any unanticipated attrition. If there is the possibility that Efton Reid might re-classify, or, at least, until Reid makes that decision, why would Virginia use the grant for anyone else?

1 Like

So HGN heard directly from a source or Efton himself a few weeks ago that Efton would not be reclassifying…I thought there would be a public announcement, but I never heard anything more about it. Has that decision been finalized 100% @HoozGotNext?

2 Likes

Players usually announce if they’re reclassifying, not that they’re not reclassifying. :laughing: Yeah I was told he’s staying in '21. Never know if he were to pick a school in early Spring, maybe he’d change his mind to enroll early. But for now, he seems intent on staying put.

3 Likes

haha, gotcha on the announcing part.

I know you had the idea that It may be to UVA’s advantage if he were to reclassify so we would not have to compete with the blue bloods or at least have a big head start…but then you acknowledged that that if he did reclassify it would attract their attention anyway, so it really is negligible whether he reclassifies or not.
Just thought Id make one quick argument on why him not reclassifying might be a good sign. I read somewhere that both Ohio State and Georgetown really want him for next year…I think he has visited both those schools, and him not reclassifying up might mean that he is not desperate to appease their need and perhaps not enthusiastic about either of those situations. If he remains patient, the situation at UVA developes in his favor, His freshman season would be our first without Jay Huff.

3 Likes

Of course all this is just me speculating…

Yeah. It would have its pros and cons either way. Big men are tricky. Efton’s a fantastic prospect. We’d be extremely fortunate to get him. But at the same time, I’m not sure he’d be useful in the ACC next year anyway. Ohio State is actually overbooked on scholarships and would like to make room for Harvard transfer Seth Towns. so I cast some doubt on whether they want him in '20. Georgetown, absolutely, and it’s ALWAYS an option Bennett puts out there for his top early targets.

As for Kobe King. I think they have had some contact, just based on their unwillingness to deny it. But also doubt that it’s a serious thing. Bennett always looks into transfers when there’s a previous relationship. That’s the only kind we get. And I think they have hopes of finding a transfer similar to him or a late '20 addition fitting the mold. That’s why you’re seeing them looking at these top PG targets in '21. Should that happen, they’d have a shot at those guys.

3 Likes

Just sharing what I read on Efton from this report posted on Jan. 22.

Eighth paragraph down it says:

“There’s been some rumblings about Reid possibly reclassifying up to the 2020 class, as he says a few schools including Georgetown and Ohio State want him for next year. It’s a rumor that he doesn’t deny but he says it’s something he’s still making his mind up about.”

2 Likes