Who's staying and Who's Going

I saw on Twitter today that Bacot is staying for his sophomore season at UNC and Darius Perry is transferring out of Louisville. Any more news on players in ACC staying or leaving???

2 Likes

Also just now. Michael Wynn is leaving Wake Forest…don’t really remember him however.

I think all the transfers so far are no brainer decisions. Players that had fallen behind and knew they were leaving. Nolley being the exception. Coaches haven’t been able to have the normal post-season meetings with each player yet, maybe not for a while.

3 Likes

This is a significant transfer.

2 Likes

Didn’t we kick the tires there?

1 Like

OMG…This is shocking…Guess K’s tactics aren’t as popular going through Capel…love to know all the backstories that lead to this decision…

1 Like

Actually, there has been a bit of buzz about transfers on the Pitt board for some time now. There are some there who are hoping McGowans will be the last to depart, but that remains to be seen.

1 Like

Yeah briefly his last year at Hargrave. Once they pretty well knew Morsell was coming that put an end to it.

2 Likes

Saw today that Alex O’Connel is (not very surprisingly) transferring from Duke after 3 years. I’m sure like many players, he wants to end up somewhere where he can get a lot of PT when he plays his final season.

2 Likes

Saw some VT fans in ACC Sports Talk talking about how Nolley doesn’t like playing the hybrid 4 in Young’s system. He thinks of himself as more of a wing than a PF.

Edit: They also speculate he’s heading to T A&M to be with Buzz again (who he previously redshirted under in 2018-19)

1 Like
3 Likes

I’m seeing that student leaders from P5 conferences are seeking extra year of eligibility for certain athletes, including for winter sports where they qualified for postseason but didn’t get to compete. Any reason to believe Braxton might be staying notably quiet on social media because he’d think about taking advantage if it came to fruition? Mamadi doing the full on social media farewell tour. Braxton not. Just a coincidence, or something more?

There was supposed to be a meeting to decide extra eligibility today. I don’t think Key is planning or even hoping for that though.

I was talking to someone about Braxton recently. When he came on his visit after deciding to leave Alabama, UVA had some hesitations about taking him. He had tested the draft after his first year at Bama. They worried he’d only play one year here. Would it be worth it? Would he accept his role or cause problems? It’s all funny now because that guy has been the ultimate unselfish teammate. He bought in completely, and has loved his time at UVA. I bet he goes into coaching when his playing days are over.

13 Likes

All of that makes perfect sense. I feel lile Braxton is sar peace with his time at UVa and whatever his next adventure will be it won’t be in a hoos jersey

4 Likes

They granted spring athletes an extra year, not winter. As expected I guess.

3 Likes

I believe that is the right move.

4 Likes

Probably, but now a precedent is set. What if there is no football season and you have to give all those athletes an extra year? That will get really messy. I thought they were going to walk back the spring eligibility because of that possibility.

3 Likes

That’s a good point. This is where situations like this become tricky/interesting from a precedent standpoint. There’s nothing to compare it to, and all the past models don’t apply.

1 Like

Another big deal I have been thinking about in terms of timing is player safety. Coming into a truncated camp before football season is possible and going from 0-100 is real in terms of injuries etc. Also some programs may have more time than other programs to get ready etc…

I was just reading some about that today. That is going to be a very real concern. When will the season officially open? College football has a hard enough time ramping up with the lack of a pre-season. In addition all the schools were in different points of their spring season. Some programs were already 10 practices deep. All that adds up.