Wild & Wacky Winter of Wooing Wings - Recruiting Rundown

Yeah, but think the plan is to try and be a manager somewhere so he can get into coaching after college.

5 Likes
5 Likes

Very cool. What level do people think Eli will play after HS?

1 Like

Remember when Indiana insiders were giving smiley faces in regards to landing Kaufman? Remember when Villanova insiders kept saying ā€œsoonā€ and ā€œon his Birthday at the end of Augustā€ in regards to Keels? Those were much simpler recruiting days.

It is interesting in the sophomore meet the team, they mentioned that there will be a change in the offense and a faster pace. @HoozGotNext I know you mentioned this as well and do you think it is a part of the reason why Keels is waiting to see?

1 Like

It would be dope to see him be a walk on and hit a 3 just to see Tonyā€™s face light up.

2 Likes

Tony proly yell at him for shooting too early in the clock ha.

11 Likes

Someone needs to change the background music to Carly Simonā€™s ā€œNobody Does It Better.ā€

1 Like

Or heā€™s playing cuz we are up 20 and CTB is on him for not getting a hand in someoneā€™s faceā€¦

2 Likes

I donā€™t know if I exactly buy that. But itā€™s our best hope that heā€™s sincerely conflicted on where to go and taking things like that into consideration.

That is 100% the key though, how heā€™ll be used. Everybody wants to point to who might be staying and going on different teams but it probably doesnā€™t matter that much to him. Itā€™s just about having opportunities to make plays with the ball in his hands instead of standing around watching others do it or running off scrreen after screen.

2 Likes

Will the staff have as much interest in this Penn State decommit as they did with McKoy?

1 Like

No mention so far of involvement with him. Iā€™m a little familiar because he played with Jabri last summer. Heā€™s a dirty work big man, rebounds decent rim protector finishes pretty well. Sold but not spectacular basically. He was on the radar at one point, never seemed to be serious interest.

I wouldnā€™t be surprised if thereā€™s mutual interest rekindled.

Sounds like Darion Atkins.

True center. Would need to improve his mobility here.

Highlights vs PVI last winter. Good shooting touch but doesnā€™t really get off the floor and not an impressive post presence. Very much a screener in mover-blocker. Meh. I donā€™t think we will ever get elite immediate impact big men here at UVA but I do think we can get more talented or heigher ceiling projects.

1 Like

I wonder if Shedrick could change that narrative. Potential starter as a sophomore, with pro size and pro skill toolbox.

I lumped him into the project group cause I stigmatize any lanky forward as a project. He very well could be. He has the offensive tools to be special. Just needs the muscle and experience to get that bambi-ness out the way. Will see if he can contribute this year given the setback with mono in the off season.

1 Like

our system runs on dirty work big men

1 Like

Has nothing to do with this completely different player. But something Iā€™ve wondered for a while that I donā€™t know the answer to. Would they still recruit Isaiah Wilkins today? Is that type of guy still part of the roster building puzzle? I know some people have labeled McKoy in that category and itā€™s possible he ends up similar but no one recruited him for his defense. Itā€™s been a while since theyā€™ve looked at a player fitting that Akil/Darion description.

1 Like

Itā€™s always surprised me the staff pivoted away from that type of player, but continued to recruit traditional centers like Salt and Caffaro. I figured theyā€™d go the opposite direction, but maybe thatā€™s too small and lean.

2 Likes