Wild & Wacky Winter of Wooing Wings - Recruiting Rundown

I think it’s still part of the equation, only the model has changed a little. The jury is out though. Badocchi fit the Akil mold in '18 (after redshirt). Then Kadin '(20) was the next guy as the new Mamadi like 4/5 version. My theory is that’s how it ideally works now. One Akil type and a Mamadi version on the roster at a time, 2/3 years apart. So we’ll find out in '22 or '23. lol Maliq Brown at Blue Ridge is a definite candidate.

2 Likes

Quick blurb on Maliq Brown from the Wooten Camp. Also non-informative blurb on McKneely as well. I know Jordan Walsh is also one of the Texans we have reached out to.

https://www.5statehoopreport.com/blogs/post/recruitment-8-from-coach-wootten-top-150

2 Likes

The amount of instate talent over the 2022 and 2023 classes is absurd. I do not envy the coaches on choosing which guys to pursue.

2 Likes

Think so. Wilkins looked like a much more aggressive, perimeter-oriented player as a 1st year, and most fans thought he would play the 3/4 like Hunter. He then went through one of the most surprising transformations I’ve ever seen tbh to put on 40 lbs to play strictly PF and occasionally some small ball 5 in 2018. He also became one of the most unselfish players of the Bennett era, sometimes to a fault. It got him a starting job in 2016 and won us a lot of games, but I wonder if we don’t try to keep him lighter and a little more mobile if he joins the program today…

3 Likes

One of my pet peeves was taking Wilkins and forcing him into that role (but of course we don’t know if the team would be better or worse for it and we did pretty well during those years so no complaints on that end). How many times did Wilkins have an open 3 point shot on the perimeter only to turn and look right to passing to Perrantes? At times Wilkins was the quintessential “afraid to make a mistake” player. Wilkins served his role as a glue guy spectacularly but you can also be a confident glue guy (Amile Jefferson at Duke comes to mind). I remember watching the Blue and White Scrimmage Wilkins 4th year, and Wilkins was dominating and leading in scoring. I was like “This is HIS year”. And then once the games started, the confidence (probably from playing against teammates he’s familiar with in a setting with no stakes) I saw vanished and he reverted back to his cautious ways. Still a fan favorite of mine, but I don’t want to play teams 3vs5 or 4 vs 5 on the offensive end.

3 Likes

What I’ve wondered is: Now that we are a bigger brand and are more appealing to the kids ranked in the 25-75 range, what future Brogdons and Joe Harrses (plural) are we missing out on? Im sure Tony will still be able to scout using his own metric but he has much more options now.

2 Likes

Couldn’t agree more. Wilkins’ focus on defense & rebounding in 2016 was a perfect complement to the more offensive-minded Gill & Tobey. But then the 2017 team desperately needed some front court scoring. Thought he would evolve into a poor man’s Shane Battier by 2018 and start knocking down open 3pt shots, but that never seemed to happen, even though he possessed the talent to make them. The UMBC game especially made it clear that he had maybe bulked up too much and was too reluctant to look for his own shot. Love him for being such a team player, but would have preferred a little more aggressiveness on offense, like we saw from Devon Hall in his final year.

2 Likes

If I recall correctly, didn’t he start both the 17-18 and 18-19 seasons strong and then have to battle through sickness and injury in the back half of both seasons? He had that mysterious illness that zapped his energy and then I believe a back issue the next year. Injuries are tough - I feel like without them the Zay we would have gotten the last two years was the one who balled out in that Rhode Island game over Thanksgiving (2018). He was a warrior to even give us what he did, imo.

3 Likes

We’ll never know for sure if you’re right, of course, but Zay was hitting the open mid-range jump shot pretty consistently before the injury his third year, and after he came back, he never got comfortable shooting it again. That is pretty strong support for your theory.

1 Like

You are correct but it was 16-17 and 17-18. 18-19 was the title team.

1 Like

Today’s the last day of the early signing period.

I think the 6’8 Akil or Darion will be our centers in tudays program. More of a Mamadi. I always thought Wilkins was taller in HS. I remember the first time I saw he wasnt 6’8. He was playing in the summer and the entire time because of bad lighting. I thought he was Darius. Than I saw Darius and was like who is that other 6’5 guard and it was Wilkins. He is not 6’5 but he isnt 6’8 either. Mckoy coaches keep telling me he can easily play on the wing and others tell me he is far from a Wilkins. But if you recall. Wilkins use tu shoot jumpers as a fr. It always seem like if a player was 6’7. He was turned intu a defensive first player and thrown in the paint. I can only think of Jesperson being the only 6’7 perimeter player. Nolte shot his butt off as a fr and couldnt hit anything the next 3 years. Akil use tu shoot jumpers as a fr. Gill use tu shoot jumpers. Playing the four for UVA meant you set screens and pics and I think it effected guys offense.

2 Likes

I do think that there will be more emphasis on mobility from the 5 position due to the Pack-line.

Dead period has just been extended to April 15. Ugh.

4 Likes

Soon committed players wont be able tu visit until Summer school. Man I HATE that Animal who is pure EVIL!!!

HGN, if they are still looking to add a player not named Keels from the 2021 class in the spring, and it turns out to be a HS player, do we already know the names of who that might be or is it more likely to be a player who gets out of their NLI with a different school?

Most likely it would be someone that pops up during the season or a decommit from elsewhere. It’s a little tricky because it’s such a great opportunity for the right 4-man. Especially if Murphy ends up playing this year. They’re not going to reach at all there because it could turn into their choice of the litter if it’s held for '22.

1 Like

I’ll believe in the uva pick of the litter scenario when I see it

1 Like

lol I suspect your pick of the litter is different than TB’s. He gets his guy at a high rate when there’s a clear opportunity there. Those situations are pretty rare here.

One day im going tu take a look at this high efficient rate for TB getting the recruits he is passionate about. I already KNOW tu he missed off the top. But not now. LOL