Women's Basketball In-Season Thread

Wow i was watching the score on the tracker. What a finish and fourth QT. Great closw out. Congrats Coach Mox

5 Likes

Watched most of the second half. That was impressive and entertaining. Might need to watch some more of this team.

7 Likes

Defense slipping though.

2 Likes

Liked what I saw from the freshman Yonta Vaughn (#5). Look very confident running the point.

5 Likes

Great game, increased my optimism for the season. Seemed like they weren’t all on the same page in the first half, and were kind of sleepwalking through some of it. Gave up a ton of offensive boards. But they made good adjustments at halftime (cleaned up the defensive glass and got busy closing out on shooters), and maybe the biggest difference in the fourth quarter was they got FIRED UP. There was screaming after every big play like Jay Huff blocking a Dookie shot. (I also noted that after the buzzer they were still really fired up. I guess that tells you what the returning players have been through, that a November win over GW would mean that much.)

Off-court highlights:

• At one point I turn around in my seat and I realize Coach Elliott is sitting right behind me with his family. Or with someone’s family, I don’t know. Hopefully it was his own family because that would be weird. Cool that he came out to support the team.
  • I get in the concession line and Williford is right in front of me. He got the chicken tender basket SO I GOT THE CHICKEN TENDER BASKET TOO. I’m no dummy, I follow Coach’s lead.
14 Likes

Attended the game last night - or at least part of it.
Arrived 30 minutes before tip-off and stood in the ticket line for more than 30 minutes. The line was at a standstill - systems obviously not working. Not a good look for a program that is attempting to bring fans back… Several disgruntled, impatient folks turned around and headed away. I hope they came back. That needs to be fixed - obviously.

As for the game - my comments are like those above. Certainly a game of ‘tale of two halves’ as they were night and day different. After the first half I was convinced that GW was better athletically and perhaps more talented.
After the second half - I did see talent, and Coach Mox has pieces to play with - it will be interesting to see how she manages the roster. I think we need to temper the optimism slightly -
Sam didn’t look comfortable at the beginning - I don’t know if she was pressing - there were a lot of us from her ‘hometown’ in attendance and I know she was aware of that. Midway through the second quarter she discarded both knee braces. Much better play in the second half. I do think injuries have had a long term, lasting impact on her - but she can still shoot and appears to have the saviness I’d expect with her experience.
Quite a bit more hustle in the second half. I think rebounding may be a challenge for this team.
I don’t believe Coach Mox sat down the entire game. What a blessing to find someone like her to take on this challenge. Headed in the right direction for sure!

12 Likes

Two of the team’s best athletes were in street clothes yesterday fwiw

6 Likes

I saw that first-half frustration from Sam too. Part of it was frustration with her teammates who weren’t getting the ball to her when she had position and was calling for it. The bucket she had at the end of the first half (her first points) was totally a “fuck it I’m gonna score now” bucket.

And she’s out there in 3-inch stiletto heels. Calves of steel.

10 Likes

Wife and I both noticed the heels. Gives her gum a workout during the game, too.

4 Likes

Good read

8 Likes

Thanks for the link. I love the embedded video tweeted out by UVA WBB (and the screencap in the article header image). Like I noted above, this is a November win over GW, yet they’re out here throwing confetti. Shows you this team is hungry for success and really embracing the new coach and the new season.

Interesting that Mox calls out “really good crowd” and “energy in the building” because attendance at women’s games has always been pretty low, and last night was no exception. (They don’t even bother to open the upper bowl, and the lower bowl was sparsely populated.) But the fans that were there were loud and responsive to the action on the floor, and the band was doing its job too. Winning will lead to more fans, which will be good, because judging by last night, this looks like a team that runs on emotion.

6 Likes
7 Likes

Women are playing their second game tonight at 7:00 against UMBC on ACCNX.

6 Likes

Lock it in. Lets get out to a solid start

4 Likes

Crush UMBC!

6 Likes

Im sure we’ve covered this elsewhere but UMBC is one of those schools I actively root agaisnt at every occasion.

3 Likes

I agree! I don’t feel any camraderie or brotherhood towards them at all.

2 Likes

At the game with daughter, saw Coach Tiffany plus Chase Coleman, Mick, Kihei and Shedrick.

Brunelle took an elbow to the head end of Q1 and looks pissed. She went coast to coast then finished with a nice no look pass.

Hoos dominating over all. Good times.

Edit - Late in 2Q, Brunelle has 13, UMBC has 19.

Edit2 - Also saw Kymora Johnson at the end of the game.

14 Likes

Sam B puttin in work, wow. Isaac Mcs bday. Say what up

8 Likes

50-19 Hoos up at thr half

Do work

11 Likes