Women's Basketball In-Season Thread

As long as they only watch today’s game.

3 Likes

Critical win. Those are the must haves for a bubble team

3 Likes

Wow, what a second half. After learning of the Valladay suspension I was sitting here worrying we wouldn’t win another game this season, then we proceed to notch a dominant win at home. Lawson has stepped up HUGE since Mir went down. 11 points and 15 rebounds is a Mir stat line. Vaughn had a breakout game today, looking like a mature floor general. But Clarkson! Where did that outburst come from? Maybe the last player I’d have thought would be an MVP candidate. 18 points, 8 rebounds, 3 blocks.

7 Likes

Clarkson goes from 46% from the FT line on the year to 64% after one game.

6 Likes

That’s insane

1 Like

More fun with Clarkson’s FT stats: She’s now played in 70 college games, and one-sixth of her career made FTs came from yesterday’s game. (She was previously 70 of 124.)

1 Like

Me too. It reminds me of early Bennett, when we were asking whether the pack line and slow pace were Tony’s attempt to even the playing field against superior talent, or whether this was really his preferred style. Turns out it was 80-90% the latter.

My guess is Mox will follow the same trajectory, in that we’ll be a little less frenetic once we have the better talent, but we’ll still have a similar aggressive style. (One thing I do hope for is that we won’t feel like we have to put up a shot, however awful, on every fast break opportunity. I don’t think this team has ever pulled the ball out, even once!)

3 Likes

That’s exactly the question I keep asking and I think you’re right. Mox roots are the fast paced agressive style but some more talent will hopefully improve decision making

3 Likes

It is a curiosity to me that development of the packline defense and slowing the pace was to offset the talent deficiency, whereas the women’s program is choosing to speed everything up. I’ve gotten so used to Bennett’s deliberate style, it is hard for me to watch a frenetic style that seems not to value possessions.

2 Likes

“Possession” is a myth. Everything is a loose ball.

5 Likes

For those who have trouble keeping track: tonight at 7 we host Florida State (16-4, 5-2). ACCNX supposedly. FSU is #19 in NET, #21 on Massey, and #30 in the AP poll. They’re averaging something ridiculous like 85 ppg in conference play. I assume we’re still without Valladay.

2 Likes

Fsu puts up points. They are much better than the ranking indicates

2 Likes

So I think the reason it is hard to watch the women’s team sometimes… is they are the polar opposite in style to the men’s team… It messes with my psyche a little jumping back and forth between the games.

3 Likes

UVAWBB2H

EDIT: UVAWBB3Q

Up 13 entering 4Q. Currently being outscored 18-2 in the fourth. UNC collapse part 2.

Good to see Courtney Love get cleaned up and coaching FSU.

2 Likes

Obviously the program is trending upward in a big way, but part of the maturation process is finishing against good teams.

Really bad 4th quarter collapse (again).

1 Like

Yeah we really let this one slip away.

1 Like

Losing some once hitting the ACC was to be expected. Losing Mir was huge. Neither of those have anything to do with having double digit leads entering the 4th and having quarters like this. That’s a problem. Losing is one thing. Losing big leads late is another.

yikes

5 Likes

Just watched the game on delay. Ugh, why do they keep doing this. Being down 10 to UVA is like being up 10 against UVA.

We really could have used Mir in this game. FSU was killing us on the offensive glass, and then of course all our bigs got in foul trouble (as always) so we could have used the extra body.

Highlight: Vaughn with not one but TWO clean blocks on 1-on-1 fast breaks.

3 Likes

What’s the word on Sam regarding longer suspension for the fighting foul? I have no clue what the rules are around that.