Women's Basketball In-Season Thread

Always nice to get a 6 point win on a night when you go 0/10 from three and shoot 55% from the FT line.

6 Likes

Looked like Valladay stole the inbounds pass, and that’s ball game. Nice job.

4-0 start after going 5-22 last year feels nice.

5 Likes

Nice win. Thanks for making us all feel a little bit better ladies, after a hard week.

14 Likes

The turnaround coming so quickly is a great sign for the future. Still not getting my hopes too high for this season in particular given that the ACC slate will be incredibly difficult, but I have so much confidence in Mox to get us back near the top of the conference over the next couple years. She very clearly knows what the hell she’s doing here.

9 Likes

Turnovers are a huge issue for the team but a lot of them seem to be ones that can be corrected.

3 Likes

Wow just walked in the door and saw the final. Agree with what others have said about sustaining this in the conference. Got to imagine spotting leads to Louisville and NC State among others could be dangerous.

But this team is already by far the most exciting we’ve seen in years and for the first time in a very long time it feels like they are building something.

6 Likes

I think sneaking into the tourney off the bubble is entirely possible, but the NIT is more likely. Either way both results would be a massive step in the right direction for this program.

6 Likes

Excuse me, you mean the ACC Leading UVA Women’s team?

1-0! And somehow their game vs Wake has been the only ACC game so far.

Edit - 8 of their 18 ACC games are against top-15 opponents. So, that’ll be rough.

8 Likes

No doubt to go from 5 conference wins in 4 yrs to any post season birth especially a bubble would be massive.

7 Likes

How do you win a game shooting 0% on threes and 56% on FT’s???
Wow

3 Likes

The 2019-2020 UVA mens team must have done it at least once?

3 Likes

Without looking I’d say they never did either

1 Like

After what happened this week, I really, really wanted this win. Nice job.

I’ve been critical of the defense in the first three games but tonight it was great D that won it, which is a terrific sign moving forward. I haven’t yet seen them that aggressive on defense, especially on-ball, and at the same time they’ve limited the defensive breakdowns.

I too worry about the quality at the top half of the ACC, but at least we know this year UVA isn’t going to just roll over for anyone.

5 Likes

December 8th, 2019 was the closest I would say we got to this. We beat UNC 56-47 with an astonishing .071% three point percentage, going 1/14. On FTs, we were 54% going 12/22.
This was the same season we beat Syracuse 48-34, which was the same total score the last Syracuse UVA FOOTBALL matchup had produced at the time, with us winning 44-38 in 2015.

10 Likes

Carolina Sucks.

5 Likes

Oh man I loved both those games so much, especially the Syracuse game to set the tone for the season as “We can’t shoot but you won’t be able to either.”

9 Likes

I think last year we were literally one of the most turnover-prone teams in the entire nation. Probably takes a little time to iron out some of those habits.

4 Likes

The downfall of this team will be FTs… the two games I’ve watched so far this season, it just feels like they are undisciplined at the line… it’ll cost them a few games this year. 55% from the stripe shows it is not improving.

4 Likes

Agreed. McLean’s first miss looked like she just flung the ball up there without any sort of technique.

3 Likes

Women are about to tip off against American at 2:00 on ACCNX.

2 Likes