World Cup 2022

Thanks for doing this @jazznutUVA. I’m in.

3 Likes

I refuse to support Eng. on principle.

3 Likes

Agree!

2 Likes

Soooo… Wales for the win? LOL!

2 Likes

Ugg my best friend and my therapist is Welsh, I’ll be damn if I give any support to those valley loving farmers.

1 Like

I get you… but I do like Gareth Bale… and he happens to be playing for the Philly Union right now… so there is that…

One of the best footballers on the planet for the past 10 years and he finally gets to a World Cup. Happy for him.

Oh… and I’m a Fulham fan… so I also love Harry Wilson. Woohoo!

1 Like

Biggest strike against Bale is being associated with Philly. But I do agree it’s kinda crazy One of the all time greats has never had this moment in the spotlight.

2 Likes

Bale plays for LAFC, they beat the Union in the MLS Cup.

2 Likes

Ah… got the team wrong… bet @BDragon loves him now. Hahaha!

1 Like

hah never mind He’s all good in my book. Anywhere > NOVA > Philly > Blacksburg

FWIW (might not be much given the abnormal schedule) during the US and England friendly struggles they said the last 5 World Cup winners have picked up at least 10 ‘points’ in their last 5 pre-World Cup games. Brazil, Argentina, Spain, Belgium, and the Netherlands meet that criteria among European and South American contenders. Uruguay does too but calling them a contender is a stretch.

Notably France, Germany, and England do not meet the ‘10 points in last 5 games’ mark

3 Likes

FWIW, here are the latest FIFA world rankings: Men's Ranking

Pro tip … teams don’t generally win when too far from their home time zone…

2 Likes

Advantage Euro Teams? And like Egypt?

True. The one exception being 2002 when Brazil won in Japan. But in that case, really no true contenders in any time zone close.

Edit: And this year could be impacted more by the time zone difference as teams are having much shorter camps in country to get acclimated.

1 Like

And Brasil was 3 times as good everywhere as anyone else

Edit: other than golie. But Brasil doesnt believe in those

1 Like

Very true. Was awesome seeing the U.S. beat Mexico in that Cup, though. And beat Portugal in the first round. Barely lost in the quarters.

2 Likes

Claudio was All World Cup team that year and we got cheated by Germany. I think Beasley score that they disallowed or some shit. With VAR now we win or atleast tie

Edit: cheated against Germany. Basically an oxymoron by or against

3 Likes

Yep. With VAR, definitely would have at least tied and gone to OT.

1 Like

Your memory is unreal, by the way

1 Like