World Cup 2022

For those that don’t realize how crazy close all the World Cup stadiums are…

2 Likes

That was one of the more terrifying things I’ve ever seen while watching a sporting event. Amazing that he’s ok.

3 Likes

Thats cool

1 Like

Yeah that was scary. The worst part was I was watching it with my parents and my kids, and my dad wouldn’t stop saying he thought he was dead. I’m like hey dad we got a five year old here, can you tone it down?

6 Likes

Soooo… what I parse out of this is you get your UVa optimism from your father? LOL!

2 Likes

Exactly true.

Here is my plan to win a world cup for US soccer: Find 20 dudes like BVP. (6’8" tall, great athlete but probably not making it in the NBA). Pay them $750k a year (cutting underperformers along the way) to undergo extensive training focused on one thing and one thing only: heading the ball into the goal. We have more 6’8 dudes than any other country. We should exploit that natural resource to take our natural place in the world (ie best at basically everything).

2 Likes

And let Kihei run point? Somebody gotta kick it to them

1 Like

Hot take here. But am I the only one who’s getting a little bit annoyed by Pulisic’s whiny demeanor on the pitch without more to show for it? Landon Donovan had half his talent, but seemed a lot more likeable. Now if Pulisic scores several goals and leads us into the knockout rounds, I’m definitely willing to reassess.

4 Likes

He was getting kicked all over the pitch yesterday. I’d be pissed too. They were late (on purpose) on almost every tackle on him. You have to let the ref know, it kind of forces their hand a bit. US Soccer tends not to get the benefit of refereeing decisions in World Cups too, for whatever reason. Much of his discussion with the ref was because he was carding Adams for aggressive tackles but then not carding Wales players for the same. At one point he actually told the ref to “calm down” when Adams was a little late and he looked to be getting a second yellow. He’s not the captain but he did a good job keeping himself in check yesterday with questionable officiating.

1 Like

Yeah, that was a heart-in-mouth moment with the Adams’ foul-- thought he was gone. Adams was the best US player on the pitch besides maybe Weah.

1 Like

Funny a friend of mine just said the same. That tie goes on the coach. We dominated possession etc first half and conpletely changed tactics 2nd half. Not playing Claudio’s son Gio was baffling

4 Likes

I’m sure you knew this, but I just realized Berhalter went to St Benedicts with Claudio.

2 Likes

whoa whoa whoa now … Pulisic is not near the player Landon was … not yet anyway.

1 Like

Yea man

1 Like

Imma disagree. Pulisic doing it in Europe. Landon did it all in USA save maybe 2 years abroad that didnt go well

2 Likes

International accomplishments with the US team, okay. But Pulisic’s talent >> Donovan’s. Landon is probably the most liked male player for the US by me and my kids though. My soccer playing kids are both girls, including one who played in college, so actually there are no male US players they like more than about a dozen or more of the USWNT players.

2 Likes

Landon was prolific for the US National team… but did not have the right play style to thrive in either England or Germany… I happened to be living in England when he was there and had already moved to Germany when he tried to make it in the Bundesliga. Not sure what the issue was, but he was just more suited for the US style of play.

Pulisic seems to be having the same problem as he has played well for Chelsea, but can’t find consistent minutes. Perhaps he should ask for a transfer to Leeds and play for Marsh w/ Aaronson.

2 Likes

Airspace over Qatar on World Cup Day 3… amazing!

4 Likes

That’s insane especially since the crowds look a little light

1 Like

I’ve watched almost every game… I haven’t noticed any light crowds. Which games are you referring to?

1 Like