2020-2021 Basketball Preseason

Oh absolutely it was. Not gonna lie though, I didn’t get to experience that game live. Was playing in a rec lacrosse game and had to get score updates via hand signals from my mom on the sideline lol.

3 Likes

ITS DAWG. If you are not down, dont try FAM!!! BE YOURSELF Thinner than a grape. What a suburban thing tu say. Now poof!!!

1 Like

I get it. You look for validation on message boards. When somebody disagrees with you, you take it personally. No big deal.

5 Likes

I had been pulling for Virginia for many years without winning anything meaningful. Winning the ACC Tournament in 14 is probably second to winning the NCAA Chip of all time games. I went through 38 years of not winning nothing but a couple of NIT Championships. I went through good times and hard times and lots of heartbreak so that was one HUGE day for me

10 Likes

From a few weeks ago, Kihei at an open gym. Excited to see his jump to an upperclassmen this year

Also I remember when we won the ACC how HUGE that moment. Just winning the regular season was amazing (the wait to JPJ at like 4am in the morning was freezing but well worth it). That being said once March roles around the ACC tourney goes to the back of my mind. I even once forgot that we actually won the ACC tourney the year we lost to UMBC, and I was at a packed Hoo Bar watching that game when it happened.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCj4WJBAMdV/

4 Likes

In case anyone missed it…

6 Likes

Someone told me that the years Duke and UNC made deep NCAA runs, they didn’t win the ACCT. I’ve never done the research, but it makes sense. Save yourself for games that matter instead of games that might move you a seed line at most.

I played the 2 years and the 1 year that Duke and then UNC won it all. From memory I dont think Duke won the ACC tourney but my last year UNC may have as they beat us in the SEMIS

1 Like

Mr Hooz,

Are you nervous people will block you if you post about one of our top recruits committing elsewhere?

Thanks,

Mr Jefferson

2 Likes

The ACC has had 11 NCAA champs since 1991. Duke (5) UNC (4) Maryland (1) UVA (1)

3 of them won the ACC regular season and tourney titles. All Duke in '10, '01, and '92

7 of them won the regular season but not the tourney.

0 won the tourney but not the regular season

1 won neither, Duke in '15.

4 Likes

haha In the rare occasion that I might know where a recruit is going, it would depend on the circumstances. I’ve done it before, as long as it’s doesn’t totally spoil where he is going. Or if it’s just kinda already obvious and I know it to be true, then yeah. Fine line between leading people on and letting these young guys have their moment. But it really is rare that I would know for sure.

I prefer to present things and let people connect dots on their own. Like with Kaufman right now. I mean I don’t know where he’s going. It’s even possible he could surprise us all and name UVA. But there’s certainly no indication it’s coming our way.

2 Likes

crazy. means the reg season seems to be most important? but also getting to ACC tourney finals is tough and draining maybe…

1 Like

Yes thats the DAWG in me. Now can you contribute tu the board and stop trying tu get TUGARD tu talk with you please!! Have a bless nite MI HERMANO. Thats French!!! LOL

You have to be a pretty good team to win the regular season, but only winning the tourney could happen for a team who isn’t a NCAA contender because stuff happens in single elimination tournaments. And because of that, it’s hard to win both the regular season and tournament.

3 Likes

Well, there you go! :slight_smile: People who didn’t know anything about basketball were shocked. While not universally true, many of those who knew the significance of DeAndre Hunter’s contributions to the 2018 team weren’t quite as shocked. And, as I said, I was disappointed. I am always disappointed when Virginia doesn’t win. And, given the circumstances, I can think of worse losses.
First, and foremost, the Virginia loss to Chaminade.
Second, the 1980 Soviet Olympic ice hockey team’s loss to a U. S. team composed mostly of college all stars.
Third, the Colt’s 1969 Super Bowl loss to the Jets (and, possibly the Viking’s 1970 loss to the Chiefs).
In 1972, UNC was down to Duke with 17 seconds remaining in the game, and Duke lost. UNC accomplished the win without the benefit of a 3 point line.
The 2007 Michigan football loss, at home, to Appalachian State.
In the 1939 Rose Bowl, an undefeated, untied, unscored upon Duke team loss to USC when a backup quarterback threw four straight completions in the fourth quarter to lead the Trojans to victory.
These are just a few losses which I think were more shocking than UVa’s loss to UMBC. These are off the top of my head, and I’m sure that others could add to the list. Of course, the UMBC loss probably stings more to those here because it was Virginia which lost. Finally, keep posting your views. This would be a very dull place if everyone agreed on everything all the time!

1 Like

I think the worst loss in COLLEGE BASKETBALL HISTORY occurred in January of 1995 when Duke lost Coach K for the remainder of the season due to “back issues.” Our nation, indeed the worldwide basketball community, mourned.

Here’s to hoping that whatever happened to the duke football program to take them to what they were in 1990s from what they were in 1939 so happens to their basketball program as well.

2 Likes

While we are at it GTown losing to Nova in the NCAA Final gotta still hurt for die hard GTown guys. Cool list compiled by you @73CAV

2 Likes

I’m a Big John fan and that loss still stings. They shot like 90% from the field all hyped up on that bugger suga allegedly

3 Likes

Yea, Villanova couldn’t miss a shot

2 Likes