2021-22 Season Look Ahead

Yeah, I called him leaving back in January and got blasted. Not bitter or anything…

He can shoot the ball and has length + lateral quickness to defend multiple positions. The rest needs work. I honestly don’t think he’s going to grade better than he is right now. He can bet on himself, but to me that’s like asking the dealer to hit when you’re showing 17.

Edit: Think he can show progress in bulking + playmaking ability next year, but just think that our system is tough to highlight it. Perceived upside may be a better bet.

3 Likes

I think you’re overrating how much the g league can develop guys, if he staying in the draft, he better hope he’s gonna be on an active roster with just short stints in the g league

1 Like

The argument for Trey staying, in my opinion, is more about getting to a 2nd contract. The BIG pay day. He’ll get drafted and signed to an NBA deal for serious money now if he wants. But that starts the clock. And the franchise won’t have much invested in him. The more prepared he is on arrival the better his chance of sticking to a 2nd deal.

17 Likes

I seem to be alone here but I dont see Trey as being wildly underdeveloped physically compared to other players. Grew a lot in short time frame but he doesn t seem crazy skinny or whatever like say Kyle Guy was/ is (just to compare)

5 Likes

Also if I were his dad or had any say he would be back at UVa next year. But I think his mind is made up and in that instance he cant look back. Go get it

4 Likes

@HoozGotNext I respect that.

But now-a-days, you’re not only betting against injuries, but also global pandemics canceling your season.

3 Likes

Covid put the nba on hiatus last spring. Can’t imagine it was good for second rounders seeking that next deal to lose a bunch of regular season games, especially the late season ones where all the starters are resting.

1 Like

Can’t imagine it was good for anyone.Might have missed the sarcasm in my note.

Whenever and wherever Trey goes in the draft it will be full of ‘what-ifs’. Just think strongly that he will be going. Regardless of how you and I feel, we are but spectators that are merely speculating on a message board.

I’ve heard the staff expects him back. I’m no insider but I hear things from time to time.

11 Likes

All arguments aside about whether he should go or not: If Trey were absolutely committed to leaving, he’d have hired an agent. The fact that he hasn’t means there’s a tipping point where he’d come back to school. I’ve got no idea whether that tipping point is 15-30 or 31-45 or undrafted or whatever. But he wouldn’t have left himself the option to come back if he was certain he wasn’t going to use it.

2 Likes

It is a high compliment to Trey just how much the Hoos Commentariat is concerned about his NBA vs. UVA decision – after all, if said commenters (ALL unnamed here for the sake of good relations) thought that he, cough, sucked, then I’m guessing they would not care quite so much what he decides to do. I too think that Trey would make our team better next year. But if he can get paid now – and if the hope of getting paid better next year is speculative – then I fully understand why he might say farewell. Either way, he seems like a great guy and I hope it works out for him.

2 Likes

Please save your party pooping for that other website

2 Likes

I’d counter that by saying the fact that he hasn’t signed an ncaa approved agent is potentially just as indicative of where he stands

2 Likes

Alright, I’ve decided to start getting hyped about Trey returning.

We’re going to win the ACC again.

2 Likes

The current version of joe Harris is day and night from trey. Joe does so many other things well.

An update of The Athletic’s NBA mock draft (behind a paywall, unfortunately) posted this mornng has Murphy being selected with the 40th pick. For comparison of Murphy vs. other ACC players, they have 3 ACC players being selected in the first round and 5 in the second round:

#6 Scottie Barnes - Florida St.
#18 Jalen Johnson - Duke
#28 Day’Ron Sharpe - UNC
#40 Trey Murphy - UVa
#44 Matthew Hurt - Duke
#47 David Johnson - Louisville
#48 Raquan Gray - Florida St/.
#49 Moses Wright - Georgia Tech

4 Likes

It’s crazy how the game has changed. It used to be if you got a lottery grade, you left early. Now it’s if you get a 2nd round grade? Crazy!

4 Likes

Here is the thing about that mock; of 30 first round picks, there are 2 seniors, 4 juniors, 5 sophomores, 13 freshman, 2 G League Ignite players, and 4 18 year old international players. The 2 seniors, Kispert and Duarte, are slotted 20 and 22. Trey isn’t likely to move into the lottery coming back for his 4th year.

8 Likes

I think there are some reasons why that may not be true that I’m not sure I want to take the time to dive into, but this is a good data point regardless

Edit: by true I mean applicable

2 Likes

Just to look back at the 2020 draft, 11 freshmen, 9 sophomores, 1 junior, 3 seniors, and 6 international players were selected in the first round. The 3 seniors, Pritchard, Uzubike, and Bane, were selected 26, 27, and 30 respectively. To your point these are more indicative of trends than individual players and their development especially after moving up a level in play. Cam Johnson comes to mind, however I would think he would be an outlier.

3 Likes