2021-22 Season Look Ahead

All the more reason why the AD needed/needs to be proactive here

2 Likes

If thereā€™s one thing we now about UVA/UVA athletics, itā€™s that theyā€™ll be methodical about what they do and probably not particularly fast. That can be a bad thing, but it can also be a good thing sometimes. Will have to see how it plays out here. Iā€™m not particularly frustrated yet because my hope is that what we do roll out will be thoughtfully put together and run by the right types of experts, and that will benefit us in the long-term even if we arenā€™t on the cutting edge these first few months. That said, will only be able to judge when things actually happen, so weā€™ll see.

9 Likes

Why do kids make edits for moves like this? Can you imagine being broken up with and then have that person be like ā€œGuess what? Weā€™re dating againā€. I mean if you are in a bad spot in life and dependent on that relationship then yeah thatā€™s good but otherwiseā€¦ I also still donā€™t get this moon theme in all his edits.

This is fecking stupidā€¦let me announce I decided to come back for my scholly after a better opportunity didnā€™ happenā€¦hmmm let me go to work tomorrow and tell my boss I think I am going to look around and when the search doesnā€™t go well ā€¦ Iā€™ll tell my boss and everyone I work with ā€œIā€™m back for good this timeā€ā€¦ makes no sense

3 Likes

I think itā€™s hilarious that players are making edits for not transferring. Amazing.

More importantly though, Iā€™m going to love any edit that gets an owl in there. More wildlife in all the edits!

6 Likes

Radio interview with Coach Williford. Nothing particularly new relative to what weā€™ve been hearing so far. Sounds like Kiheiā€™s shot is improving, Franklin is a good shooter, and Gardner has good feet and is aggressive. Maybe sounds like thereā€™s some concerns about leadership on the team just in terms of needing some guys to step up as vocal leaders (which I honestly thought was a problem on last yearā€™s squad too), but theyā€™ve told Kihei and Reece to work on that.

7 Likes

Virginia hasnā€™t done a good job or been a leader on NIL, but thatā€™s the case with the vast majority of schools. Most schools were looking to the NCAA for guidance and when they put out that free for all policy, it caught a lot of schools by surprise. Lots of schools werenā€™t ready.if weā€™re still behind a majority in September, then Iā€™ll be disappointed. Right now just get a consultant in there and copy the best stuff other schools have done.

3 Likes

If VT can put out a program by July 1st then we certainly can too

2 Likes

I think itā€™s been reported multiple times that weā€™re already working with a consultant. I donā€™t know why roll out is taking so long, but there is some advantage to waiting to see what the competition is doing and make sure you donā€™t completely botch it.

5 Likes

For me I also think The University is protecting the athletes by not rushing etc. Get it right and legally the first time and not put the athletes in jeopardy etc

6 Likes

Agreed that itā€™s better to get it right than rushing in, but I also think that the NCAA has no interest in enforcing any limitations because theyā€™ll get sued and lose again.

A schoolā€™s #1 priority is protecting their IP and a close #2 is supporting their athletes in whatever way possible. No one will admit to priority #1, but lawyers are involved and theyā€™ll insist on #1. The brand, name recognition and reputation is the single most valuable thing a school owns (at least from a legal point of view).

7 Likes

I agree and would go as far to say that schools absolutely understand the value of their IP and the brand and will put that first 9 outta 10 times. While I wish UVA was more active on the NIL front Iā€™m not super concerned by what weā€™ve seen. While there is a booming market of possibilities, itā€™s still all very much speculations to what it all means in the long run. Outside of Bamaā€™s QB and Master Pā€™s kid (2 extreme outliers) the deals and the numbers coming in seem to be more local and on the smaller scale. Schools moving to cash in on their legacy etc. through jersey sales is essentially already being done and is more of an extension of the brand only this time the players happen to be able to reap some benefits off it. If a school has a weak/softer brand, adding a players name to the back of the jersey isnā€™t going to suddenly jump jersey sales.

2 Likes

Just because they havenā€™t announced everything to the public doesnā€™t mean they arenā€™t doing the same thing everybody else is. UVA is working with INFLCR (Influencer) and Front Office Sports. The same people UNC and Tech is working with. They have also agreed to let athletes use the UVA logos just like UNC has. Interesting how people start bashing Carla and the program just because you donā€™t know what they are doing. They have said they would release the program to the public after ALL the athletes have seen the program.

20 Likes

I donā€™t know what thread to put this in but the rumor that Texas and Oklahoma are looking at the SEC could cause the conference realignment dominos to fall. Wonder if the ACC would do anything. Big 12 remnants donā€™t really fit with us.

3 Likes

I just hope it somehow results in Maryland being back in the ACC lol I need that rivalry back

5 Likes

Whatā€™s the SEC going to do about the Longhorn Network? Texas keeps it and theyā€™re at an advantage over everyone else. Doubt Texas is willing to give it up either. Why would Texas want to leave the Big 12 where they control everything to join a league where everyone will vote against them? Would the Texas and Oklahoma legislatures allow OU and UT to abandon OSU and TTU?

I donā€™t see it happening personally.

2 Likes

The Longhorn network is an issue for sure (good point). There is a grant of rights issue for both until 2025 and I think the Longhorn network thing runs into the 2030ā€™s.

I donā€™t think TTU is an issue with the Texas legislature. OSU might be in OK.

Clearly more complicated than on the surface, but eventually the realignment dominoes will fall and I hope the ACC has a gameplan when it does.

2 Likes

Honest guess is maybe Texas and Oklahoma are a little interested, but may also just want more leverage over something else going on with the BIG12. Having everyone thinking they could leave if they want may help them get their way even more.

1 Like

Man the transfer portal creates a lot of awkward moments. Kofi is like the kid who runs away from home but only makes it as far as the local Blockbuster before realizing life ainā€™t so peachy when you dont got a roof over your head and food in your tummy.

3 Likes

Saw this posted elsewhere - some Milicic highlights. Donā€™t remember his shot looking so fluid or his release as quick in the minimal other highlights that were out there.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRqqaXfI05P/

11 Likes