2021-22 Season Look Ahead

He woulda been KAT or AD like assuming he’d use the bigger frame to play like a big consistently and not hunt 3s all day.

1 Like

that’s just luka garza

where we stand on various media outlets’ preseason rankings

before armaan and jayden:
not ranked on kevin sweeney’s (ranked 25 teams. tech not ranked)
not ranked on mike decourcy’s (ranked 25 teams. tech 14th)
first five out on jeff borzello’s (ranked 25 teams. tech 10th)
24th on jeff goodman’s (ranked 25 teams. tech not ranked)
32nd on andy katz’ (ranked 36 teams. tech not ranked)
25th on krysten peek’s (ranked 25 teams. tech not ranked)
17th on scott gleeson’s (ranked 25 teams. tech 25th)
16th on patrick stevens’ (ranked 25 teams. tech not ranked)

after jayden/armaan:
21st on gary parrish’s (ranked 26 teams. tech 26th)
24th on jon rothstein’s (ranked 45 teams. tech 19th)

disclaimer: i’m fully aware how meaningless preseason polls are. this is purely for entertainment

3 Likes
1 Like

Very interesting!

Sort of got me thinking, if, and a very big IF, Murphy were to return, where would you range us in national rankings to start the season (me - 10 to 14th) and in the conference (me - 1st, Duke 2nd, NCSt 3rd, VT 4th). Seems slow with nothing happening soon, so something to pass the time while I check LRA out like a meth addict missing my recruiting fix and HGN got nothing to stop me jonesin’.

I think these are all fair. We’ve got proven players (and scorers) now at the 2 and the 4, which we didn’t have before. You’d have to have been expecting a lot of growth from McKoy and Morsell (and realized potential from Jabri) to rank us Top 25 before. Now it’s all a question of whether Murphy stays, and how much progress we see from Beekman and Shedrick. Meaningful contributions from McCorkle and Murray would be a bonus. Depth is still a question.

2 Likes

This is how you make a draft announcement. Jump straight into the merchandizing.

12 Likes

Don’t really have any “proven” ACC level scorers yet. At least efficiently. Exception Murphy if he stays.
But I do believe the right rotations can produce just fine if given the playing time early and often to improve by February.
I’d love to have all players with at least 2 years left and higher ceilings to get all the minutes and opportunities possible - exception - Gardner.
These include Shedrick, Franklin, Murray, McCorkle, Beekman. with Stattmann, Clark and Caffaro getting some backup minutes.
We still need 2 more scholarship dudes at minimum to have the depth necessary to be fresh and ready in March.

3 Likes

i’d probably rank us nationally in the 12 to 15 range and 3rd in acc behind duke and fsu. assuming mj walker, champagnie, simms, and at least two of alvarado, devoe, and wright are gone, my acc rankings would be duke 1st, fsu 2nd, us 3rd, tech 4th, syracuse 5th, unc 6th, louisville 7th, nd 8th, nc st 9th, georgia tech 10th, clemson 11th, pitt 12th, miami 13th, wake 14th, bc 15th

1 Like

I get the auctioning off of the shoes and getting money from that but this whole NFT thing is baffling to me… I’m not even that old and I don’t see how the market for this will thrive but Garza got some serious coin for his NFT and I see Mobley has also offered up one. Who is the finance person who can explain this? @DFresh11 ?

1 Like

Wow, didn’t realize this was so long. TLDR at bottom.

Definitely not an age thing when it comes to understanding NFTs. I’ll be on Grounds for my first year starting this fall and I hadn’t heard of of NFTs until a few months ago. As far as I understand, NFTs are somewhat similar to Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies in the fact that they use blockchain, which is essentially a secure digital transaction service. Think of blockchain as going to a local police station to complete a deal on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace, it’s a secure way to do a digital trade. Now the big difference between NFTs and cryptocurrencies is the fact that NFTs are non-fungible, hence the name non-fungible tokens. Non-fungible really just means that it’s one of a kind and can’t be replaced. Think of an NFT like a really rare baseball card, you can trade it for a card of equal value or importance, but there’s only one of each. NFTs can essentially be anything from a tweet, a piece of digital art, or a video like the one Suggs is trying to sell. The weird thing about NFTs is that once you buy it you really only own the digital fingerprint of what you bought. This means people can still download and watch the Suggs buzzer beater, but whoever owns the NFT will own the “original”. It’s like the Mona Lisa, there are thousands upon thousands of copies and prints out there, but only one original. NFTs are essentially the new frontier for art collectors and super rich investors. I personally don’t see the point, but who knows, in a few years I could be kicking myself because I didn’t get involved. It’s all pretty speculative right now, but I imagine this is how people looked at Bitcoin when it was first sold.

TLDR: Think of an NFT as a one of a kind digital baseball card. They can be anything from a tweet, a piece of digital art, to a video. NFTs are just another form of investment similar to cryptocurrency, there are risks and rewards involved and we’ll see where it is in a few years.

17 Likes

Very good description. Thanks!

1 Like

some advantages are that it’s easier to show off your collection/complete deals and they’re unaffected by wear and tear so they don’t need to be graded. the niche memorabilia market is definitely out of control right now but i think projects like nba topshot have a chance to succeed long term

1 Like

People were buying pizzas and weed with Bitcoin when I was in school lol it’s a brave new world and we are only starting to scratch the surface of it.

2 Likes

Thanks for the detailed explanation. Definitely a high risk, potentially high reward market as nascent as it is. If Professor Burton is still teaching, would love to see how he would incorporate Bitcoin and these other emerging crypto markets into his curriculum. Took one of his classes when the housing market crisis was going down in ‘07 and he did a great job of incorporating it into the curriculum.

Ah man I am not the one. This is somewhere between art and bitcoin if you ask me.

2 Likes

HNBFing with great summary.

9 seed in Lunardi’s first Bracketology for next year.

FSU top ACC team as a 3 seed.

I’m not sure I see it with FSU. Cleveland will be a good freshman but idk if he’ll be better than Barnes was. MJ Walker and Raiquan Gray are major losses. Koprivica was big for them at points and he’s gone too. And they’re expected to be about as good as this year?? Mills from Houston who transferred there is solid but I’d rather have Walker or Gray.