2021-22 Season Look Ahead

I loved a lot of the stuff that we ran during that @Louisville game, but then we played a 2-3 (Cuse) and then we had the Covid pause, and all we have is that one game.

I donā€™t see any way Duren goes first overall in 2022. In 2002? Sure. But heā€™s a 6ā€™9 (at most) center without perimeter skills. Why would a team use a top 5 pick on that skill set in this era? Surprised as Vecenie is usually one of the good ones.

2 Likes

Yeah thatā€™s kind of where Iā€™m at. Kihei is way better when he isnā€™t asked to put up big numbers/play a huge offensive roleā€¦ but this year heā€™s going to have to put up some numbers just because he doesnā€™t have as many scorers around him as last year. Fingers crossed he can look good but youā€™re right ā€” counting on that definitely isnā€™t ideal

5 Likes

I think part of Petrusev leaving Gonzaga was his / his campā€™s displeasure in how Few was utilizing him.

There were reports that he didnā€™t let the Gonzaga staff know in advance he was leaving and they only found out through the media.

And thereā€™s this partial quote out there from him (the rest is about uncertainty surrounding last season in college hoops due to the pandemic).

ā€œHere I should be able to showcase some skills I wasnā€™t able to at Gonzaga and improve my draft stock."

1 Like

Funnily enough, Vecenie said on his pod that heā€™d move Duren down now. Said he got a little excited when he reclassed.

2 Likes

Vecenie is kind of a sucker for traditional centers, haha. Consistently had Sengun ranked above consensus (think he finished at #8 on Vecenieā€™s big board but I remember him flirting with the top five). And as haney said, Sam already said it was a little bit premature to put Duren that high.

Personally, Iā€™d rank them Banchero, Holmgren, Duren at the moment, but Iā€™m nowhere near as smart as Sam

3 Likes

I agree with you. And Iā€™m sure some guards and wings will play their way into the conversation. A big opportunity for non-freshmen given how ā€˜weakā€™ the 2021 high school class is (at least perceived to be) outside of the post.

1 Like

He became one of mine after he refused to shake coach Kā€™s hand and told him it was bull****ā€¦ This after the officials stole the game from us. Good player too!

2 Likes

damn wish I knew that story for the pod. Awesome

1 Like

Rumor is Igor will be the #1 pick

5 Likes

Tomorrow at 12:30 for Dunnā€™s announcement

5 Likes

Speaking of Igor. He appears to be the 6ā€™9" version of 6ā€™10 Isaac Traudt. How often does one team have guys of that size on the floor together who can shoot lights out from 3, can take you off the dribble with guard like skills, with through the roof high BB IQā€™s? Both with Christian Laettner type versatility. Iā€™m not saying they are his equivalent but itā€™s that type of versatility that made him a very special big man. You could pair them with 3 guards and its still like playing 5 man small ball with 6ā€™9" and 6ā€™10" in the lineup.

Sprinkle in Isaac #2, Tain Murrayā€™, Leon Bond, Ryan Dunn, Carson M, rim protector Kadin S, Reece Beekman, and the rest of the ACC has a problem. Notice has been served.

6 Likes

From my observations, the dilemma with Reece Beekman is that he is a superior offensive threat when he has the ball in his hands, but his role as the primary ball handler is limitedā€¦ He is considerably less of a threat as a ā€œcatchā€™nā€™shootā€ scorer, the end of the Syracuse game not withstanding. So, both Beekman and Clark are more potent offensive threats (whether scoring or creating opportunities for others) with the ball in hand than without, but when they are on the floor together, thereā€™s only one ball. Itā€™s a dilemma.

4 Likes

Donā€™t have time to defend it much right now, but Iā€™m not sure I agree that Kihei is better on ball than off ball. E.g., he was most efficient in 18-19, when we didnā€™t need him to be a playmaker. In 19-20, we relied on him on ball the most, and needed him to shoot/score the most, and he had his least efficient year. I know efficiency is not the be all / end all, and it can ignore context, but itā€™s important to consider.

4 Likes

This is true! Ty Jerome had the ball in his hands, and Kihei may have been the 4th option when Salt was in, and the 5th option when Mama-D was in. However over the last couple of years the stable hasnā€™t been that full.

2 Likes

Igor hasnā€™t played one minute. Hope the hype train is real here.

4 Likes

As do Iā€¦:joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

2 and done

2 Likes

2? 1. Fresh is an Igor hater.

4 Likes

If I could go back and was an elite player I would keep using the free extra year and stay in Cville and live at Ash Tree apartments forever. But thats just me

10 Likes