2021 Basketball Recruiting

Having a higher career fg % than Casey isn’t saying much at all. My point was I just haven’t been impressed when watching him. He’s a fine player but many expected him to go pro after this season and that just isn’t happening.

I don’t know what to tell you. I have a different opinion from watching him. I think he looks solidly like a 10+ year NBA backup. He will be a second round pick no matter if he leaves this year or in 2023.

If Kentucky is offering they’ve received word from his camp that they’re open to it. Just judging on how Kentucky operates

2 Likes

I don’t get the consternation over Casey Morsel. He is only midway through his 2nd yr. Has he shown offensive improvement? Yes. Does he have the ability to be an elite defender? Yes. We waited on Devon Hall, Jay Huff, Darion Atkins etc. This kid already has an NBA body and has shown that he can have a dominate mid range game. It’s early … Lets give him time to develope in Tony’s program like we have given everyone else … Ala Mamadi D.

12 Likes

I’m not sure I understand that premise given that Kentucky has been even worse than Duke this season.

3 Likes

Kentucky probably has 3 guards right now for next year. Doubt they get Keels but the angle is pretty obvious. Issue with Duke isn’t their team struggles exactly, it’s that their individual players aren’t doing well enough to turn pro. Log jam.

10 Likes

I wonder how long it takes for Duke and Kentucky to fully lose their shine. It used to be ‘come here, you can win a title and go pro right away.’ Both have been trending downward in terms of team success for a few years, and now their 5-star players aren’t going super fast track to the League. Boeheim is a HOF coach, but they stopped being relevant as an elite program and as an NBA conduit some years back. Same with Arizona (with a Hall of Sleaze coach). Kansas may be headed there too.

4 Likes

You are seeing the same. I called it a quagmire. I see a potential mass-exodus within Duke program, at season’s end.

Where are they going to go? NBA? G-league? Another college program? For these guys outside of the nba none of these options is desirable and none of Dukes guys are playing themselves squarely into the lottery…

When I see what is going on with CBB as for how it can showcase flaws etc… I have to think that the nba owners would be silly to get rid of the OAD rule… just simply recruit straight to G-league with ST contracts for those that might be able to play early in the league…

Real problem is every kid is told and thinks they are League. almost no one is. Not a good situation when you have so many great schools and programs offering to pay for your 4 years with them

9 Likes

Once Calipari and K are both gone, I think Kentucky will burn out more so than Duke. Duke will always be able to sell the top 10 academics and playing in a higher pedigree conference.

1 Like

There will be many transfers this year. Duke will be affected and I think we will also.

1 Like

While I would love for UK and Duke to go down in flames, saying they haven’t had team success and their players aren’t getting drafted right away is just wrong.

Duke 2019 was the odds on favorite to win it all and had Zion and Barrett go 1 and 3 overall. UK still has half their team drafted every year and has all but a monopoly on NBA one and done appeal

14 Likes

Agree half the teams inntge nba feature a UK kid playing big mins

2 Likes

The one-and-done drop off is really this year and last so we’ll see if that is an aberration or a bit of a trend. Team success has been trending downward for a while. Apart from NBA draft picks, those programs measure their success in Final Fours. Neither has been to a Final 4 since 2015. Kentucky made 4 F4’s from 2011-2015 and none since. Duke made 10 F4’s in 18 years from 1986 to 2004 and only 2 in the 15 years thereafter. Duke has relatively little success in the ACC compared to their golden years. Most of their elite status today is based on the eye candy of draft picks, and many would argue those guys were going to be early draft picks regardless of where their college pit stop was. Maybe they both end up F4 contenders next year, we’ll see. It feels like they may have peaked though.

3 Likes

It’s undeniable the number of Kentucky guys in the NBA, and it helps sustain their brand. I suspect those same guys could have enrolled at the University of Phoenix for a year and still be in the NBA. The Kentucky to NBA path is chronological, not causal. I doubt many 17 year olds see that though.

Edit: Just looked up that Duke has five 5* players and four 4* players on their roster. Kentucky has three 5* and five 4* guys and both teams have losing records. That’s pretty extraordinary. Also noticed that Kentucky’s 5* count has gone down each of the last 4 years: ‘17-5; ‘18-4; ‘19-3; ‘20-2. Maybe there really is some decay in Lexington.

6 Likes

As we not surprisingly drift off topic, the moderator of the Duke rivals board is predicting Nova.

2 Likes

Lol

Unless you just didn’t want to ever play defense or were concerned about playing time, it’s beyond me why anyone would choose an ACC school over Virginia.

4 Likes

I mean if I were a big I would pick UNC. And one and dones still have great incentives for Duke.

1 Like