2022-23 Lineup Conjecture fun

This right here. You get who you get, no way to control it. I guess margin of victory (funny how I hate it this year…) as well as the seeding would be a good measurement of how dominant your tournament run was. Could be that some that had higher total seed opponents also smoked those opponents, and maybe teams that beat better seeds had close games. Point being, the champion is the champion, and very rarely in CBB does it feel like that champion is ‘undeserving’ (not saying that’s what you’re implying Dave)

5 Likes

Not at all Joe.
2 things can be true - we earned it and also had an easier path than anyone else except 1990 UNLV.
One thing I didn’t check was how many teams won it without having to play a 1 or 2 seed (Top 8 team in the country). We did that.
I know it’s not many.

1 Like

But that’s not true, and people have just told you why.

4 Likes

See, I just don’t believe this to be true unless you can present some evidence other than cumulative seeds. That’s where you’re getting disagreement. I’m not closing my mind to being convinced of it, I just don’t think seeding proves much of anything as I said above.

1 Like

Anyone can take the time to crunch any set of data - go for it.
I did check to see for sure.
2019 UVA and 1990 UNLV are the only teams to win it all since the Madness went to 64 in 1985 without facing a #1 or #2 seed.

I think the problem i and others have is that you’re assuming that seeding is perfectly correlated with the difficulty of opponent. But it’s just not.

6 Likes

I ask this with love Dave: which do you like more, UVA basketball or fighting with UVA basketball fans online? Haha.

5 Likes

Trick question! The answer is McCorkle

2 Likes

To support your point, in 2014 Michigan State was the favorite to win the tournament according to the oddsmakers, and they were a 4-seed. I trust the oddsmakers way more than the committee.

1 Like

Just curious - how’d that work out for Michigan State that year? :wink:
Also we would have beaten that team in a basketball game. Unfortunately that Sweet 16 game was football.

Kihei

1 Like

Fighting??? I would never …
Discussing, debating, opining … all day.
As to the question … this season??? Definitely debating with all y’all.
Our largest ACC win this year is 13 points.
Last time our best ACC win was less than 13 points was 2005

1 Like

Are people ready now to discuss this more??? :slight_smile: For hope I’ll post this:
Reece: 32 minutes/game
Shedrick: 27 minutes/game
McKneely : 25 minutes/game
Traudt: 25 minutes/game
Murray: 24 minutes a game
Milicic : 24 minutes a game
Gardner: 20 minutes/game
Armaan: 8 minutes/game
Bond: 11 minutes a game
Caffaro: 4 minutes/game

Dunn, McCorkle - as needed
If Johnson comes then he gets 8-10 minutes

1 Like

As said in other threads, you’re just going to be mad when Armaan and Gardner’s minute totals look nothing like that. Nor should they to be honest. Gardner 20 minutes a game makes no sense, especially given how much his defense improved over the year. But anyways, keep having this discussion!

3 Likes

Mad? I’m going mad I tell ya!!!
Genius is only appreciated post mortem.

6 Likes

I think we probably need to weight the averages into non-conf, first 10 ACC games, last part of season. Unlike this year, next year will have changes as the season moves along.

1 Like

I would put a large amount of money on Dave’s response to minute totals that look nothing like that being lots of posts saying that the minute totals should look like that. :joy:

2 Likes

This year did have changes. Once Taine showed he could score really really well - he got benched.

2 Likes

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a coach that had such a long leash for his favorites when it comes to mistakes and such a short leash for his doghouse guys for their mistakes. It truly boggles my mind that Clark has led the team in minutes played - averaging more minutes per game in each of the last 3 years than any other player in UVA history that I could find.
Murray has 4 turnovers in 133 minutes for the season. Four! FOUR! Cuatro.
Milicic has 3 turnovers in 100 minutes for the season. Three! THREE! Tres.
McCorkle has 5 turnovers in 76 minutes for the season. Five! FIVE! Cinco.

2 Likes

Here are the numbers on turnovers per 40 minutes:

Rk Player TOV▼
1 Chase Coleman 13.3
2 Carson McCorkle 2.6
3 Kihei Clark 2.5
4 Francisco Caffaro 2.1
5 Jayden Gardner 1.9
6 Armaan Franklin 1.7
7 Kadin Shedrick 1.7
8 Reece Beekman 1.6
9 Kody Stattmann 1.5