2022-23 Lineup Conjecture fun

Serve the pitchers or take em down? I prefer my starters have a few post game

Its college after all

4 Likes

I think if LJ comes in at ā€˜22, heā€™ll have a very similar role to Reece and Kiheis freshman years. CTB likes ball handlers.

2 Likes

I know it doesnt always work this way with highly rated guys like LJ but he will also have some real ones to learn with day to day. Reece!! of course and if Kihei stays

1 Like

Another thread off the rails, lol.

Lineup continuity should be considered a massive asset next year- especially considering the one starter replacement will be Kihei for a natural 2.

I think we will be amongst the favorites for the conference/top 15 nationally. Pretty straightforward.

1 Like

I donā€™t want to push it back off the rails, but I think this is a debatable point. An NIT (or at best, 12-seed) team thatā€™s young: yes, I think continuity is a massive asset. On an older NIT team? With lots of guys that have hit their ceiling? Itā€™s debatable, IMO.

6 Likes

aHoqPjJ

4 Likes

My apologies too ā€¦ just reread and realized I included Clark in same line about being Acc caliber. In my jumbled brain I meant that he was forced to play this year like Reece with a couple guys who are not rotation level on an upper tier Acc team.
My bad

2 Likes

We are what we are this year, although I wish things had turned a bit differently from last year. Clearly Hauser and Murphy should have moved on, but if Sam had made a different decision or Trey had been redshirted as planned, Iā€™m thinking this season turns out very differently (but Iā€™m guessing we donā€™t have Gardner this year if one of them had stayed). Cā€™est la vie.

Iā€™m thinking Kihei moves on regardless - maybe to a west coast school, more likely overseas. There will be a transfer, maybe 2, of the 3 Ms. Gardner will be here, along with Franklin. London J reclasses.

With that in mind, hereā€™s my version of '22-'23.

Starting 5 = Reece, Armaan, Jayden, Traudt and Caffaro (yes, I know this means Gardner or Traudt has to guard the other teamā€™s 3). Next off the bench is Shedrick for Caffaro. Isaac M in for Armaan, Igor in for Traudt, and Taine for Gardner. London in for Reece. CTB plays match ups from there, Maybe Bond gets a little action, more time obviously if one of the other Ms transfers. Dunn will have to be very special to get run next year. Reece plays 32 minutes a game, Franklin and Gardner get 26-28 apiece, Caffaro 16-18, Shed 20, Isaac T and M each get 15-18, Igor and Taine 12-14 each, London 10, Bond 8. (adds up to approx 200 minutes). There is room for Carson to stay, but he is going to have to work his a** off this summer if he wants time. Without improving his lateral quickness (or anticipation a la Ty) and strength, he appears to be too much of a defensive liability (teamsā€™ guards isolated on him as soon as he came in the game).

Thatā€™s my best guess and looking at the ACC next year, itā€™s a top 3 finish, and no worse than a 4 seed in the NCAA.

5 Likes

Assumes a few factors, but to start:

1. Gardner has shown great, consistent production on offense with improved defense. He should immediately slot in as a go-to, leading scorer.

2. As HGN has alluded to, Franklin has shown offensive improvement in every area but the 3-point shot. He should be, at worst, a top 15 guard in the league. With an improved three pointer, that goes up a level.

3. Reeceā€¦ with the keysā€¦should be very good.

4. Papi + Shedrick combo is a very good big rotation as well. Shedrick in particular has room to take a Mamadi-like leap.

The missing piece is the two guard who can fly off screens. But great base + elite talent infusion

3 Likes

Franklins season, IMO, has been overrated. His defense has improved to being good enough, and heā€™s shown remarkable adeptness from midrange coming off curls, but heā€™s taken WAY too many threes at 25%. Thatā€™s a ton of possessions ended with zero points. And itā€™s not like he adds a ton in the assist or rebound department. Thatā€™s all the eye test, and the analytics sites tend to agree. Heā€™s sup-100 ORtng on KP.

2 Likes

Unpopular take. Mid way through season I would have told him to NOT work on his 3s in extra self workouts. take a gazillion shots from mid range or watever and see them go in. BUT I also would have told him to take open in game 3s

Think less, shoot the same

1 Like

Raleigh Harbour come on down!

1 Like

Thank you Mr Traylor for being the 2nd person to answer the threadā€™s question and first to do it so fully ā€¦. My point was simply to actually hear the minds of some of the people here

WTH Is Malachi? :joy:

Maybe at Radford?

1 Like

:joy: lol. Maybe he will maybe he wonā€™t. Itā€™s all his decision to make. One thing I can say is he will be playing somewhere. He look good in Blue and Orange to me. Hehe

2 Likes

Agreed. Experience coming back is usually a good thing, but if the experienced players were mediocre the prior year and most are on the older side, how much growth can you assume? If Clark comes back, we all know weā€™ll have the same top 6 with about the same minutes allocation. Give or take a couple per player. So if all youā€™re replacing are Stattmann and Poindexter minutes, how much better can you get?

Remember that Northwestern NIT team that brought back all 5 starters a few years back? Got a lot of preseason hype because of all the experience coming back. Result? Missed the NIT. (All from memory, Iā€™ll have to look it up to confirm accuracy).

2 Likes

The best one I can think of is actually close to home: ND. They had a bunch of guys going into their senior year, so some folks thought theyā€™d be much better. And they are ā€¦ but theyā€™ve got a potential OAD lottery pick to whom theyā€™ve given the keys. (Wesley #23 in Vecenieā€™s latest mock)

1 Like

Weā€™re not gonna be meaningfully better next year with Kihei back. Partially because of his deficiencies, and partly because having him at PG forces Reece to SG and Franklin (or someone else) to the 3. Wastes Reeceā€™s top level potential, and makes for a smaller than ideal lineup.

4 Likes

Trying to soften my language around this topic, so the way Iā€™d say it is that we are not going to be meaningfully better by running out the same undersized, poor shooting (overall) guard lineup. Guards are collectively really important and ours are NIT caliber and I donā€™t see that changing much next year.

1 Like