2022-23 Lineup Conjecture fun

Reece-Kihei was the 5th worst duo out of all the players in our rotation apparently.

Of course even the most thorough stats fall short as you are trying to quantify something that maybe just can’t be quantified. I like the good ole eye test. And our team was immensely better when we only had one pg on the floor. And If it was Reece, even better.

5 Likes

My eye test (when they weren’t bleeding) told me the same thing. And, to the point earlier, I don’t think it’s disparaging to either Kihei or Reece to wish we had seen more of one PG the last two years or hope that we see more of only of them next year.

3 Likes

Is it disparaging to say neither Reece nor Clark should play the 5 because neither is our best 5?
I doubt many would say Papi is a better player than Reece or Clark.
I also doubt there are many who would say Reece or Clark is a better option than Papi at the 5, right?

I’m guessing they aren’t talking about this nuanced point when they are talking about disparagement. There was a lot of pure disparagement out there in the public domain for Kihei or Tony to see. Just pure pointed anger at Kihei (not Tony, not our lack of wings or other talent we needed, just Kihei).

1 Like

Fair, but there’s some (or a lot of) conflating.

1 Like

a lot

1 Like

Well, to put the fun back into lineup conjecture, I ‘m on team eye-test. There are lots of ways to sift this data, and it’s difficult to control for just 1 pg vs 2. But it is indisputable that teams sagged on us in the paint with Reece and Kihei both on the floor.

I’m also optimistic from various things that TB has said, starting with the St Bonnie post game presser, that we are going to see less of the two pg sets. I’d be willing to bet the house that both will be in the starting lineup, at least for the beginning of the season. But I think that we’ll likely see Kihei’s minutes decline as the season progresses. McKneely is going to make a big impact right away, and TB is going to find ways to get him on the court.

3 Likes

Im just fearful that we are never going to see what Reece could truly be here or only get a short glimpse at it. He hasn’t even scratched the surface, and we have already wasted his first two years by not allowing him to make it his team and surround him with the pieces he needs.

7 Likes

I’m a bit more of an easy grader: I can more or less give a mulligan on 20-21, or at least most of it. But the issue with the pairing became blindingly obvious by the Feb 2021 or so. They are not a good combination. They don’t complement each other well. Whether it’s Kihei’s fault or Reece’s fault or Tony’s fault or Trey Murphy’s fault for leaving or Taine’s fault for being a crap defender or my fault for harping on it, or @Hooandtrue’s fault for bringing it up when I was finishing up work, and looking at the board or your fault, dear reader, for reading this. It doesn’t really matter, does it? The point is they’re not a good combo, and that’s not good.

4 Likes

Said this during last season and people brushed it off. Seems to be a serious chance Reece will be stuck between two great runs and doesn’t get a chance to participate in one.

You have a point here and you may be right…

Edited to say: I was having a moment.

1 Like

Lmao you took that way too deep. None of this is that serious. Point was just I’ve had the same thought.

3 Likes

Lol you’re right! Sorry I was having a moment. It carried over from The Sabre. I apologize for it.

3 Likes

No worries! We’ve all been there

1 Like

I fear it a little, but I’m confident we’ll see some special stuff from him. The way I see it is that if this team next year is good but not great, then it probably means he’s not gonna have enough NBA interest to leave. On the other hand, if the team is great, then it’s probably because everyone got a little better, the freshmen are ready, and Reece is at the center of it all running the show.

I’d be willing to bet that either 22-23 or 23-24 is a pretty great team with Reece at the helm. Also I think my worries about Reece not being able to take the reigns have worn off a bit. Tony knows, man. He knows Reece is his best player and he’ll put him in the best situation possible given the surrounding talent

9 Likes

Isaac is pretty well developed physically compared to most guards his age. He always looked decently filled out but he looks bigger than when I last saw him play

3 Likes

Nowhere obvious to drop this, so dropping it here. Congrats to the grads!

14 Likes

Don’t know if this has already been posted but looks like Taine will get some international experience over the summer. Hopefully he’s still able to get back to C’Ville tho so he doesn’t miss out on internal development

3 Likes

I’m Taine, I’m staying stateside this summer working wtih Altizer and playing an absolute sh*tload with whoever is in C’ville training as well (maybe Joe is in town rehabbing).

5 Likes

Looks like an uphill climb to make the 12

3 Likes