2022-23 Lineup Conjecture fun

It doesn’t sound like it’s a long time commitment, I guess unless he gets selected for the tournament in July. It’s probably nice to get home after your first year abroad, too!

3 Likes

You’re right but can’t blame the kid for the chance to play with his national team.

5 Likes

Can’t blame him, but I read the article - he’s not even mentioned when discussing about 15-20 of the players. Travel time, not playing much if any, some limited practice, etc.will be a real drawback - Franklin, Bond, Dunn, McKneeley I’m thinking they’re putting in the work and Taine had lots to work on (no knock on Taine, but as a foreign player, he was behind the curve coming here last summer).

2 Likes

It’s interesting to me that in New Zealand, Taine is considered a guard and not a Power Forward. It must be a translation issue.

16 Likes

:joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

With that handle, I think power forward is more accurate. Seriously, without a lot of work this summer, he will have trouble getting off the bench. If the starters are same 5 as last year (highly likely), then BVP is first off the bench, likely Isaac M, then Isaac T, then Caffaro, then Bond/Dunn (whoever wins the early season practices/doesn’t have an injury). Don’t see Taine beating out BVP/Isaac T for time in the front court and have trouble seeing him take minutes from Isaac M. Only place to get minutes is at the 3 - maybe when Armaan slides to the 2?

OK, now tell me why I’m off base :wink:

I think Isaac M could be a starter at some point next year

7 Likes

Don’t disagree. Think Traudt could start against some teams at the 5 later in the year as well.

1 Like

This is where I come down as well. Over time, he will prove to be an upgrade on offense and defense as a sub for Kihei with Reece at the 1.

3 Likes

Just not sure what you are basing his poor handle off of? He barely played and when he did he hardly dribbled.

Must be all the turnovers in this video or maybe all the turnovers at UVA?
SMH. 4 turnovers in 146 minutes played … so loose …

1 Like

Taine is a 3/2 … not a 4 in any sane lineup.
Let’s say you wanna throw the 5 most talented guys out there?
Then that 5 can only include the following:
Reece, Isaac M, Taine, Isaac T., Bond, BVP and Shed … maybe Gardner if you wanna stretch it to 8.
None of those combos have Taine at the 4.

1 Like

You could not be more wrong. He could be a starter at every point next year, but he will never start in his career because of Kihei, Taine, and Papi. And tony.

You know you are talking to a dude that never started once at UVa right hometeam? hahahaha I blame JJ and of course Tony B as well at this point

5 Likes

Fresh you deserved more run, and if Kihei hadn’t come along like 30 years later you would’ve gotten it.

9 Likes

Now it is all becoming clear for me. Fing Kihei even has a ring. The real one

3 Likes

Agree Taine is not a 4, but he’s not a 2 where he has to be the secondary ball handler (at this point). I don’t put as much stock in the number of TOs per minute for him either - TO’s are limited if you don’t put the ball on the floor very often, which Taine did not (as noted by Hoos9412). He had a couple of baseline drives, but for the most part he either shot or passed the ball back out to the back court (sounds a lot like Kody where his job was to NOT make mistakes) evidenced by his 2 assists (using small numbers to my advantage, he had a A/TO ratio of .5 which is bad, but really is immaterial in the small sample size we have to measure Taine by). Armaan on more than 1,000 minutes only had 40’ish TOs. Not saying Taine’s handle is bad, but it is not ACC level for a 2 at this point. That’s why I’d really like to see him drill hard on that all summer. Heck, I remember people b*tching about Malc’s handle his first year or so and saying he couldn’t run point. He ended up turning out OK…

I like Taine a lot as a player, and I hope that he can carve out an effective role with minutes next year, but it seems like he’s sort of stopping to smell the roses with the national team participation (which he will have many years ahead of him to play a substantive role)…

2 Likes

Tony’s best line ups

3 pgs/combo guards (LP Brogdon Hall/ Guy Jerome Kihei). Forward with defensive versatility at the 4 (Hunter Gill) and Athletic rim protector with also defensive versatility (Wilkins Mamadi).

Give me Reece Armaan McKneely Bond Shedrick as our best line up this year even though it won’t be the starting or finishing lineup.

Also give me Reece Armaan McKneely Taine Jayden.

As selfish fans of UVa I completely agree on Taine this summer. But man the opportunity and experience for him is an Cant Say No thing I think

3 Likes

That’s some real Christopher Nolan Inception type shite there. But I think Fresh gets to save existence if he puts Interstellar on.

2 Likes