2022 Dream Class

Yeah, agree. Although the one thing I will say from watching all of Poca’s games so far - I respect that West Virginia high school basketball is doing everything it can to bring 80s hairstyles back. Some wicked mullets out there, and some other stuff that I don’t even know what to call. High school hockey in the Midwest and high school basketball in West Virginia are keeping the flow alive.

6 Likes

I figured he would be putting up better numbers and efficiency against local public high school teams in West Virginia. I grew up in a small town in western Pennsylvania and we rarely had a player taller than 6’2" or someone that would play sports in college. But I haven’t been able to watch much and this is such a strange year, so may be just getting up to speed and knocking off the rust.

It’s not just WVA! The high school football teams have joined in here in Southwest Va… My son just cut his mullet. A large number of players did this together.

2 Likes

Hilarious

1 Like

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMVxmGSDV1Q/

McKneely, outside his 3pt shooting of course, reminds me a lot of Darius Thompson in terms of his movement and stature. Darius Thompson with an elite 3p shot.

3 Likes

Just watched through McKneely’s game tonight. By my count, he shot 8/14 overall, 1/5 from three and 3/5 on free throws. Peppered in four or five assists and got around two or three steals as well.

Was more aggressive attacking the hoop and got out more in transition off a couple of steals. Three point shot was off all night, but the one he hit was a catch-and-shoot, which is where he seems to excel. This was the worst team they’ve played though. Didn’t put up too much of a fight after the first quarter.

2 Likes

That’s a good one. The non-UVA guy I still think he is a spitting image of gait and overall movement wise is Matt Mooney.

2 Likes

While we’re on the subject of recruiting, I happened to see LSU play today. I’ve seen posts that say we should have recruited shooting guards who shoot better. Why did we never offer 6-4 Cameron Thomas, who made first-team All-State in the largest schools division (Division 6) as a freshman at Oscar Smith HS in Chesapeake, then sat out a year for various reasons not related to academics, then averaged 24 ppg for Oak Hill Academy, and finally, as a senior, averaged over 31 ppg for Oak Hill Academy? “As a senior at Oak Hill, Thomas averaged 31.5 points, six rebounds and 3.4 assists per game, leaving as the program’s all-time leading scorer.”

He has almost single-handedly been the reason that LSU is 18-8 this year. He’s averaging 22.8 ppg as a freshman. Okay, maybe he’s a gunner. But if you watch him shoot, I think he has the best-looking jump shot of any 2-guard in college basketball. He was just picked first-team All-Southeastern Conference, and was the only unanimous pick, meaning that he’s about to be picked the SEC Player-Of-The-Year, which is not bad for a freshman.

I assume we reached out and found it wasn’t a fit right away. Most guys who play for Will Wade would have no chance of fitting in under Tony.

2 Likes

UVA didn’t offer because he is a selfish volume shooter and his teammates in AAU didn’t always enjoy playing with him. One of my good friends played for Boo Williams with him and a high level college coach said to my friend “I would never recruit a guy like that. He doesn’t play for the team, he shoots it every time he touches the ball.” Thomas is a great player but he wouldn’t have fit UVA’s style of play at all.

1 Like

Hokies have offered Alphonzo Billups

Wouldn’t he have to be offered by, accept, and transfer from Wofford first?

4 Likes

Looks like this one is ending before UVA really got to decide whether to go after him. PF from Florida. FSU maybe?

1 Like

Dang. And this feels like an FSU guy. Another long athlete who will give us trouble for a couple years.

1 Like

McKneely’s stat line for the night…

8 Likes

I was gonna watch it and post my usual amateur count of his stats and then they just tweeted it out!

1 Like
7 Likes
5 Likes

According to my very rough calculations based on my very rough score keeping, through five games, McKneely is shooting close to 55% from two, just shy of 39% from three, and slightly over 47% overall.

3 Likes

22 played 5 minutes and was defending him in both clips. Poor guy. Wonder who McNeely was defending. I like the 5 assists in his line.