2022 Recruiting Offers (New Thread)

If Caffaro starts next year - that would be a fail - health-wise for Shedrick.

3 Likes

@HoozGotNext Im sure you can speak to this in much greater detail, but it really seems like there is an emphasis on plus shooting in the guys we are targeting moving forward. You can see this year the luxury in having multiple guys who can step onto the floor and knock down shots, consistently. Comparing to last year (and prior), it hides a lot of warts and always keeps the team in the game.

6 Likes

Gotta be at least partially a response to last year’s horrid shooting right? Proved to be a flaw in guard recruiting from 17-19. They love Kihei and Casey and they both can be plenty adequate shooting but they went 3 years without getting a great shooter in the backcourt. It showed. And then in the frontcourt, that’s definitely where they’re going. Out with the blocker/mover as anything other than a change of pace. Tony wants floor spacers. I think they see the value in not just the shooting from Hauser and Huff but the driving lanes it creates and how much more attractive that is for recruiting guards.

24 Likes

It’s the way the game is trending. You want multiple floor spacers and shot creators on the floor at all times. I think it allows for some recruits to see easier translation to the NBA game as well. Tony’s willingness to modernize the offense over the past years has been really great to see

15 Likes

My thought is that McNeely may have wanted to snatch up the schollie before Taylor grabs one.

7 Likes

Frontcourt recruiting will be interesting from that perspective, because they’ve also tended to pick up long defenders in the frontcourt who can clean up mistakes and perimeter breakdowns. But floor spacers who are also long and athletic enough to be impact defenders tend to be in short supply and in high demand, so I wonder how they will try to balance that.

5 Likes

Don’t know if I’m totally wrong about this, but it is a little hard for me to envision the world where we take both McKneely and Taylor. If McKneely commits, that’s give us McCorkle, Murray and McKneely as snipers who play the 2/3 spots and overlap for multiple years. I guess if Taylor plays the 3/4? But I guess I’d be surprised if they weren’t looking for a more bouncy/athletic wing to compliment all those shooters defensively or a big Brogdon-style guard that gives them something at the guard spots they don’t already have.

5 Likes

Yeah. In 2022, we’ll have Morsell , McCorkle, Murray, hopefully McKneeley, plus probably JAR as scoring guards/wings. They all bring different skill-sets to the table, but that’s already very healthy competition for ~2 spots. Sure, I suppose we’d take Keels or Taylor (because why not?) but unless we decide one of those guys can serve as Beekman’s co-pilot (which would be unexpected) or JAR or Taylor can play some 4, that’d be kind of a lopsided roster.

I mean, even just with McKneely its hard to see where there’s room for a Brogdon “big guard”, because by 2022 we’ll also need Beekman’s successor and most of a front-court (since Big Papi will be a RS senior and Shedrick a Jr).

1 Like

Taine is that brogdon guard I think. Big physical and potential to be a good defender. Can play pointguard as well.

2 Likes

Let’s add Beeks and a 22 pg recruit. So in 22 you’ve got

Beeks jr
TBD PG fr

Casey Sr
McCorkle Jr
JAR Jr
Murray So
McKneely Fr

That’s 7 guys rotating 3 spots (Maybe JAR has bulked up enough to play some small ball 4)

Now let’s look at this season

Kiehi Jr
Beeks Fr

Casey So
Woldo Sr
McCorkle Fr
JAR Fr

Kody Jr
Murphy Jr

Hey look, 8 guys for 3 spots (Trey occasionally playing the 4)

It’s not overkill at all. This isn’t even factoring in any possible attrition

5 Likes

Ok, I just noticed that McKneely’s HS team is the “Dots”. That’s absolutely hilarious.

3 Likes

You should check out their mascot as depicted on the wall of their gym. It’s awesome.

1 Like

I see what you’re saying, though I’d quibble by noting that the 2/3 spot is probably a little too crowded this season rather than ideal.

My assumption is that by 2022 we’ll also be adding at least 2 or 3 more front-court players. At least one should be a combo forward like Murphy (since we’ll need to replace both Murphy and Kody), making that 7 more like 8. If you then add a “big guard” on top of that we’re at 9, which starts getting ridiculous.

1 Like

The dream (under the assumption Nunez aint leaving Texas) for 2022:

Seth Trimble - Isaac McKneely - Chris Bunch (redshirts to gain muscle/DeAndre Hunter pitch, becomes class of 2023 recruit essentially) - Collin Smith (trey murphy Clone) - Isaac Traudt - Taylor Hendricks (Mamadi/Atkins role) - Big man (this scholly is available cause we use one of our 2021 schollies on a grad transfer big. We use this 2022 schollie on a big man that can back up Kadin and develop)

“But Hooandtrue, that’s 7 scholarships”. Yeah but we essentially used 7 scholarships for the 2016 class even if they were transfers and reclasses involved (Guy, Jerome, Hunter, Mamadi, Huff, Braxton, Hauser). The 7 above give you 7 players who all could contribute their first year but still need to develop and are okay with that (50-125 ranked recruits) and shooters with all 7 players. This is the way… until tomorrow when this all gets debunked with the next new name to reach out… that 2022 class is so loaded with talent though
But forreal the question becomes “Can Justin Taylor fill that DeAndre small forward role”? I would lean towards no. Justin Taylor absolutely is good enough for UVA, hence him being one of our first two offers. Dude is a stud. But does he fit the roster and the roles we recruit towards? You can still get solid shooting from that long wingspan 6’7 athlete.

If Justin Taylor wants to be a Hoo, however, I think you have to say yes.

1 Like

It’s most certainly due to limited scholarships. I feel this could be more about Keels. If McKneely doesn’t reclassify and no one else transfers out, that leaves a little more scholarship flexibility for transfers and / or remaining '21’s. However, I’m not so sure that Taylor still wouldn’t be a take for '22.

We wouldn’t have offered Taylor this early if he wasn’t a take. I think you could see him filling the Hauser role.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Thanks, but how do you know this? :grinning: Even his assistant coaches might not know that.

How does Cavs Corner get their information?

It’s pretty obvious! McKneely and Taylor were the first two offers for the class of 2022 until Traudt received one, recently.