2022 Recruiting Scenarios

After the Taine commitment it’s interesting to see the staff still involved with Isaac.

1 Like

Two things. I think we really like him and maybe they aren’t so confident in Keels.

1 Like

I agree to an extent. They’re both labeled as shooters, but I think McKneely is a better ball handler, and could potentially run some PG if he develops that a little more. Also, if he can guard 1-3 I think he has much more wiggle room in a roster crowded with guards

4 Likes

Lol if they like him they’d keep talking to him even if Keels was a silent commit.

If Keels is a commit, I would guess that it’s of the Ronald Curry type or he’s committed to Duke.

Point was this meeting has nothing to do with Keels. We’d have it regardless of our status with him. No reason not to keep recruiting McKneely until it gets to the point where we have to go all in or move on.

4 Likes

I think McKneely has a hush hush offer and has for a while.

1 Like

I agree! I also think we would love to wrap this one up quickly. I’m not sure that will be possible with Covid as well as the blue bloods getting involved

1 Like

Agreed - to me it only makes sense from both player and team needs if he can play 1.

Here’s how I see the roster in 2022 (w/o any attrition):

PG: Beekman
CG/Wings: Morsell, JAR, Murphy, Murray, McCorkle
Bigs: Caffaro, Shedrick, McKoy

Unless we have attrition at the CG/Wings (very possible) then it’s going to be pretty crowded.

1 Like

Another way of looking at this;

PG: Beekman
Wing 1: Morsell, McCorkle
Wing 2:JAR, Murray
Wing 3: Murphy, McKoy,
Bigs: Caffaro, Shedrick

That leaves four scholarships available. This is just an idea of how that could play out.

1. A big to develop or a more mobile 4/5 combo.
  2. A pure point guard.
  3. A combo guard or wing (depending upon Morsell, Murray, and McCorkle’s development).
  4. A wing.

If you watched last night’s JWilly Show (always recommended), he said they’re starting to turn the corner on '22 recruiting. So I think that’s what you’re seeing with McKneely and probably some other stuff coming.

As of this weekend, it was still status quo with Keels and Kaufman. Granted, sometimes things move faster than word spreads. I think it’s just October and they need to get moving. Indications are they’re going to at least start off trying for McKneely no matter what happens. PGs and Centers are the players they’re mostly interested in identifying for evaluation of late though, the two spots they know they’ll be in the market for.

8 Likes

We don’t really want status quo though right? Isn’t status quo slight IU and Duke leans with the clock ticking toward early signing day. We need movement in the next month, don’t we?

Eh depends how you think of it I guess. I always hated the terms lean and leader in recruiting. Call them favorites if you want, but it’s all based on the perception of others not necessarily reality. Indiana and Duke need to get a yes out of them the same as our side.

3 Likes

Recent Video of Kyle Filipowski. Recruit that staff are very interested in according to HGN but a lot of schools are interested in. Isaac Traudt-like national attention but still underranked in recruiting
https://www.instagram.com/p/CFmrtJ_JiZb/?utm_source=ig_embed

1 Like

247 article on Austin Nunez. Don’t think it’s paywall

It’s a paywall…

Sorry. Mentions we’re recruiting him hard, loves D and that Tony gets guys to the league.

8 Likes

OK - bored, so I believe the early signing date is Nov 11. Predict date of announcement and school choice for each of Kaufman, Keels and Houstan. We’ll see who is closest.

Mine:

Kaufman - Oct 15 to UNC
Houstan - Oct 22 to Alabama
Keels - Nov 3 to Duke

Maybe, just maybe, some reverse mojo in there. :innocent:

3 Likes

Kaufman/UVA/Not soon enough
Houstan/Alabama/Nov 9th
Keels/Takes up residence beside Coleman on Duke bench/Whenever

2 Likes