2022 Recruiting

That is an interesting spattering across the commonwealth.

1 Like

Actually 5 area codes. 804-Billups 703-McDaniel 757-Epps, Hand 434-Taylor, Brown 540-Nickel

2 Likes

Rivals description makes Hand sound like Jerome.

2 Likes

Brief article on Isaac McKneely Gonna be veeeeeeeery interesting to see if he or Taylor gets an offer first.

https://stockrisers.com/2020/06/10/2022-fyi-isaac-mckneely/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

2 Likes

It’ll be interesting to watch how they handle this. Usually by now they have a pretty good idea of what they’ll want, and even a couple firm targets already identified. There’s not one player in '22 I would feel confident in saying UVA will recruit. I expect to hear a ton of names next week, at all positions. With no evaluation time and no clarity on '21, it’s wide open.

If I had to guess McKneely is the guy with the best chance of them getting serious with first. He has everyone’s seal of approval, just not Bennett’s yet. A big hurdle obviously. If they go for him, it’ll turn into a 2 team race with WVU and might not last that long.

9 Likes

This is one you won’t hear about next week but UVA likes a lot. Jaydon Young, guard from Greensboro Day. He did the same as Carson, reclassified to 2023 when he transferred in. He’ll move back to his original '22 assuming the right school wants him.

6 Likes

Watched some full Greensboro Day games in part to watch McCorkle and in part to watch Young after seeing this post. While he’ll need to show he can produce more consistently when asked to be a focal point of the offense, he really is impressive. Also, it’s hard to explain, but he just feels like a UVA guy. So workman like in his approach and even-keeled. And you can see the defensive potential.

That said, he looked like he may end up good enough that his recruitment may blow up with a lot of big players. That never makes me feel great about our chances, but then again we do have McCorkle, and depends on what he is looking for.

3 Likes

Tomorrow is reach out day, first time they can directly contact class of '22 prospects. Actually starting at midnight, and yep some coaches will call then. UVA might talk to 100 kids this week, no exaggeration. They hope to evaluate them all to some extent over time.

Occasionally there are offers made. Last year, Efton Reid and Max Christie got theirs on June 15th. Very different circumstances then though.

4 Likes

Twitter is going to be nuts the next 24hrs

2 Likes

Yep… and we’ll all put another pot of water to start starting out next to the 2021 pot.

2 Likes

Christie, huh? What about Keels?

I’ve noticed a sharp decline the past few years in kids putting out the lists of coaches they talk to. Only explanation I have is there are so many early offers made now that they don’t feel interest is worth talking about as much anymore.

Trevor was the first real 2021 offer, made when he came to the Duke game Feb '19. They had made some earlier offers but all to guys that were intended as 2020 reclassifications. Carter Whitt and Cam Hayes, McCorkle of course. Sort of like Caleb Houstan now.

1 Like

Hokies have offered Justin Taylor

Thanks! It now appears we will get a visit from Christie unless someone else commits first.

1 Like

Wrong thread. This is the 2022 thread. That said how does ‘it ‘now appear we’ll get a visit ‘?

1 Like

Lol. Gotta love Ty

14 Likes

Sweet!

Thanks! I say that because I think he will take his visits before making a decision and it appears his will be a family decision without outside influences which never work out for us.

2 Likes

People need to cool it a little with Justin Taylor. UVA is interested. He’ll absolutely be evaluated. But there’s no guarantee at all they’ll end up recruiting him. Ditto for Donald Hand Jr. I’m not sure they’re even that interested in him yet.

5 Likes

This is where I am so very ignorant when it comes to recruiting. It just doesn’t always make sense to me.
Justin Taylor is a top 100 recruit, quite literally in UVA’s back yard. I’ve read rumors on this webpage that he and his family are big Hoos fans. He’s a 6’6” wing; known to be a solid shooter. In my opinion, which means absolutely nothing, he is someone we should clearly go after and look to close on quickly.
Lol Thank goodness Tony is in charge and not me.

3 Likes