2023 Basketball Coaching Carousel

New construction that’s not bad. Cheaper than here in Atl.

1 Like

According to the termination letter obtained by ESPN, Anderson was fired for “failure to create and support an environment that strongly encourages student-athletes who are in the men’s basketball program to meet all university academic requirements,” “failure to perform your duties and responsibilities in a manner that reflected positively on St. John’s University … in actions [that] brought serious discredit” to the school and “failure to appropriately supervise and communicate with your assistant coaches.”

Other than the “serious discredit” bit, none of that is what I generally think of as “with cause.” Plus those things are so vague (how do you prove or disprove items 1 and 3?). I don’t know any of the background here but sounds like St. John’s put together a contract that gave them an easy out.

3 Likes

That was a contract meant to be broken.

2 Likes

He’s 4 years in, hasn’t made the tourney (in 3 chances), never made the Big East semis (despite playing it in his home arena), and has only one winning conference record. I think that’s a fine time to decide to move on (maybe one year early) and feel like you don’t owe the guy anymore, but then just put that stuff in the contract … but then you’d never get a decent coach to sign…

1 Like

Wait. SJ is trying to get out of paying Anderson for losing?

NVM - I see it.

They are giving him the Kevin Ollie treatment. Gee I wonder what those coaches have in common?

They will have to pay out his 10M anyway + court fees like UConn had to.

1 Like

It’s also a slap in the face that they feign concern about “encouraging an academic environment” and “reflecting well on the university” etc., and then replace him with… Rick Pitino.

8 Likes

Not officially. Looks like they came up with other reasons.

It’s just a way to get him to settle for less. No way st. johns is going to take this court. The legal fees alone would be huge for both parties.

1 Like

Too late. Check the edit.

Filing a lawsuit is one way to kick off a negotiation…

2 Likes

I doubt this was the first step in negotiations. This has been in the works for a while

Yeah, I know. Was just making a joke about suing someone being one type of negotiation.

1 Like

Have to make some assumptions here without the facts and evidence but this is a bad bet by SJ. Precedent has been set UConn already lost this battle. They should pay the man his money unless they have a long list of skeletons to show the Arbitrator.

1 Like

Also, seems like bad vibes given they haven’t signed Pitino yet

Brey ready for the beach.

14 Likes

That is so on brand. Good for him bermuda shorts every day

12 Likes

Interesting, I guessed FAU, b/c I didn’t know if he’d find it awkward to replace Brian Gregory (and I’m assuming Dusty May will get a better gig). But Brey’s daughter is apparently in Sarasota, so west coast (of Fla) makes more sense.

1 Like

Daughter in the area. Low tax regime on the state level. This sounds like a real R.I.P. situation.
Are you getting R.I.P. (retired in place) vibes from this move? He’ll be gone in 4 years after banking most of his (presumably) 10M+ from this contract. IMHO.

7 Likes

Saw on other boards that Georgetown is pledging like 7 figures to an NIL fund for the new coach whoever it is. Rumored amount is $3 million.

Notre Dame seems to be down to Penn State coach, Colgate coach, and Drake coach. FAU coach has Indiana ties as well.

3 Likes

Cooley’s coaching plus DMV recruiting could be a really good combo. I’d be mildly worried if we had ever had much success in the DMV… Nova should be worried…

3 Likes