2023 Off-Season Basketball - Outside UVa

In the category of bad player safety, the situation in the U18 European Championships has been wild to follow. First, rain + no AC in one of the gyms led to some of the games looking like they were played on ice (tweet has some video):

And now a bunch of players from different teams staying at the same hotel all got sick:

FIBA, man.

2 Likes

I saw an article about this earlier this week but lost track of it before I could read it. Thatā€™s wild man.

Thatā€™s crazy. Itā€™s hard to believe they have to play in those conditions

1 Like

Idontwanttoplayontheseshittycourts-itis.

Rothstein seems to be making his way south. Started his off-season visits yesterday with Maryland. I would imagine heā€™ll get to us in a fee days after hitting a couple more DC schools

https://twitter.com/jonrothstein/status/1684211480458059786?s=46

2 Likes

I am not trying to divert attention from previous topics, BUT I just saw two humans on F68 give UNC an A+ for their offseason. I think I would probably go C+ given a roster change that seems very unpredictable (much like ours, I suppose) Their prediction is that UNC will finish second to Duke in the ACC (which may be true), but only Miami was given a shot at competing for that position. Curious as to what some of you think about them. Honestly, I am not as high on them as some ā€œcommentatorsā€ seem to be.

2 Likes

Do the opinions have to be human? My dog thinks duke is overrated (again) and she says unc is shit. Iā€™m inclined to agree.

10 Likes

Canā€™t wait for Beekman to stuff Filipowski again.

10 Likes

The Field of 68 offseason grades have been odd. I usually listen to / read their stuff, but Iā€™ve been avoiding this series, mostly because I have no idea what the grade is meant to represent. Is it losses compared to what they are bringing in? Or only judging them based on additions? Or do they include retaining guys? I know, I know. Iā€™m over-analyzing, and they were just looking for a framing device, but it seems like an odd one that turned me off.

On UNC: I think they could be very good, but I also thought that last year. Love may be addition by subtraction. Theyā€™ve got much better floor spacing with Withers and Ryan. Cadeau seems very talented. I think the Davis and Bacot combo will benefit from being Love-less. I donā€™t really know what to expect from Ingram; havenā€™t really every watched him much.

Tbh, it might come down to how good Cadeau is. If heā€™s a lottery type pick (and he may be), I could see them being a top 5 team. If not, maybe theyā€™re just good, not great.

4 Likes

My understanding is that they are looking at net talent, for lack of a better term. This why, I think, they never mention us other than to put up a video of a dejected-looking Tony Bennett entitled ā€œTonny Bennettā€™s Terrible Offseasonā€; they simply think that we have very little chance to be good given ā€œnet talentā€.

As for UNC, I think you identified the big question mark correctly: Cadeau. I think his ability to make an immediate, productive jump from high school to the ACC will go a long way to determining how good this team will be.

Edit: I think we will surprise people with our potential to compete at the top of the league.

7 Likes

Good for him. The manassas shooting guard we looked at briefly. Had a strong summer but maybe just couldnt break through enough to power 5 level. Maybe he becomes a portal option for us.

8 Likes

Wait, what exactly is that saying? That heā€™s committed to applying to Harvard?

8 Likes

lol idk itā€™s some weird elitist harvard shit or something. Heā€™s going to Harvard.

5 Likes

Probably related to Ivies not giving athletic scholarships (as far as I know), only need-based financial aid.

2 Likes

AQ got it. Heā€™s getting a full ride to hoop in Cambridge but

1 Like

Not quite sure how it works at Harvard but at some of the other Ivies, coaches want you to go through admissions because if you can get in own your own merits, the coach does not have to use up the limited number of ā€œpreferencesā€ that they get on athletes applying. For instance, if you want 11 solid players on the bball team, the coach may only get 3 prefs per year on average, so any kid that can get in own their own merits is gravy. Football and basketball may get a bit more leeway, but the kid still has to meet minimum qualifications (I believe at UVa an athlete has to submit his/her transcript to admissions for evaluation before the coach is really ā€œallowedā€ to recruit you).

11 Likes

I donā€™t know much about it but there is a ā€œpre-admissionsā€ process with UVA. Basically once thereā€™s serious interest on both sides theyā€™ might ask for all the relevant info transcripts etc so that admissions can give a preliminary thumbs up. Avoids wasting time if it canā€™t be done.

A lot of times itā€™s just getting someone at their school to vouch, like hey this kid is a good student in all the right classes, youā€™re good.

12 Likes

All happening in Serbiaā€™s third city, NiÅ”, which is very much worth a visit on a warm summer night for the parties by the river. Speaking of Serbia, Tobey signed with the biggest team there, Crvena Zvezda (Red Star). Since I lived there for a long time, I sent him a message on IG with tons of tips. Wisely, he ignored it!

13 Likes

Service academies do that as well. Had to go through the same thing for athletic recruitment.

Guidance counselors had no clue how to handle for rising junior in my case.

4 Likes

Just saw an article that is on target here, I think:

Related PSA: Learning CPR and how to use an AED is relatively straightforward and worth the time, in my opinion.

15 Likes