2023 UVa Offseason Chatter

Rough start doesn’t surprise me. There are a lot of good players with different skills on this team, and I imagine it will take some time to figure out the right combinations. If we forced OT, seems like Tony may already be figuring out at least some of it. Playing the reigning champs even for two halves? I’ll take it.

10 Likes

Virginia’s comeback might be due to Coach Bennett’s adjustments, or it might be because Hurley had learned what he wanted to know about his starters and was playing around with substitution combinations. It was a scrimmage. We have no idea what either coach was trying to learn or accomplish with it. It’s worth noting that UConn is about as inexperienced as UVa this fall. I know that there is a scarcity of information at this time, but let’s not read too much into this. It’s enough to know that once the scrimmages begin, the season cannot be far behind.

8 Likes

73 you know where you are, right? If want us not to read into vague scrimmage details then you’re on the wrong board

21 Likes

Perhaps, but I do entertain rather high expectations of UVa graduates and their grasp of reality! :grin:

1 Like

The correct view on scarce data:

• don’t read too much into it
  • don’t read too little into it
  • read only the exact correct amount into it**
  • **as determined in my sole discretion
7 Likes

No. Ridiculous take. We staged a comeback because Harris and minor and groves were benched, and Gertrude and rohde went off. Also, Igor rejoined the program and is everything we were promised he would be. I’m booking flights to the final four right now.

17 Likes

I said Tony “may” have figured out “something.” If y’all think that’s reading too much into it, I can only imagine that the proper amount of interpretation would be, “Two teams played, and one team won.”

I stand by my original point, which is that Tony’s biggest challenge this year will be figuring out how to mesh a broad and diverse range of talents, and these scrimmages could (possibly maybe potentially) help.

6 Likes

TBH the only real takeaway is our guys got to get live reps against the reigning champs. The rest is just because we are antsy for the season to start and that would be boring

4 Likes

Dis-REECE-spect.

https://twitter.com/jeffborzello/status/1716501937888149593?s=46&t=TLtc0ruA8RdBi8KFTrhv5Q

7 Likes

No worries. That’s the list of guys that would be the best if they only had to play against guys who just finished the graveyard shift down at the plant.

2 Likes

Six options there for Reece to make a point.

7 Likes

Blue collar guys. Guys that don’t know how to use their palms to dribble. Basketball used to be a proper sport.

2 Likes

Nijel Pack: Still not a point guard, just short.

11 Likes

Plus 2 others in scrimmages.

The Jahvon Quinerly addition with no Reece is deeply offensive

13 Likes

Oh yeah that one was bad, Quinerly couldn’t even crack 50% of minutes played last season for Bama.

Edit: I suppose it would be charitable to say this was injury related, but he was actually better in 2022-23 than his fully healthy 2021-22 season.

1 Like

The Athletic (unfortunately behind a pay wall:Top 20 college basketball guards for 2023-24: Tyler Kolek, Trey Alexander and more - The Athletic) has a list of the top 20 guards–not just PG or SG but all guards–and Reece is no. 14.

7 Likes

Kihei was named to four Cousy preseason watch lists lol it’s a popularity contest.

2 Likes

I think I’m ready to short some Tyler Kolek stock. Is he really first team all-American good? #1 guard in the country good?

2 Likes

I’m ready to short Marquette as a whole (relative to their #5 AP rank). O-Max leaves a big hole in their team makeup: Joplin is their only wing-sized player and he was not a good defender last season; the rest of their perimeter defenders are guard-sized and look only fine, not particularly good.

5 Likes