2023 UVa Offseason Chatter

So who’s in the 7 man primary rotation Bennett settles on by January?

7 Likes

Reece Dante McKneely Rohde Dunn Minor Groves.

Not my opinion on preference. Just my guess on what Tony might fall on.

8 Likes

Reece, McKneely, Rohde, Dunn, Minor with Harris first guard off the bench. The seventh is murky to me: Buchanan if we need size or Groves if we can get away with playing small.

2 Likes

8 man rotation

Beekman
Imac
Rohde
Dunn
Minor

Bond
Harris
Grove/Buchannon based on matchup

4 Likes

I feel like most fans are underestimating the role Groves will have. Wont surprise me if he’s in the starting lineup.

I suspect early in the guys who’ve been here will play more maybe start. Taine Harris. Will be their chance to establish themselves.

Rohde and Groves will be in that top 7. One will most likely settle into the starting lineup. Probably Rohde but it’s possible TB likes starting big.

As the season goes my guess is it’s between Gertrude and Harris for the 4th guard. With Taine as a wildcard.

Buchanan will play but more in a clear backuo center role. Not top 7.

19 Likes

Groves will be our second best shooter and our most versatile offensive post. I think that’s good for solid minutes. I think our collective hope (at least mine) is that some of the higher upside guys push him a bit down the stretch.

7 Likes

If Gertude isn’t getting top-8 minutes I suspect we will be on transfer watch again next year. Bond too

12 Likes

It will be interesting to see if there is an extra effort to get Gertrude minutes next season. There are a lot fo capable guards “ahead” of him.

He could certainly force the issue, but maybe the Traudt experience is traumatic enough for Tony to do something he hasn’t really done before.

5 Likes

Reece Dante McKneely Rohde Dunn Minor Groves Bond, gonna be 8 ya’ll b/c Bond is gonna fill Dunn’s role/PT from last season. Defense, mega energy, etc

I think it will take Gertrude time coming off the injury. I could see him breaking into real mins near the end of the season

3 Likes

I’m not a huge fan of that. No offense to Groves, but he was the one guy we added where I scratched my head a little and thought “Are we doing the same thing we did with BVP? Prioritizing experience and raising our floor for one season while potentially sidelining more important medium and long term pieces?”

That said, I’m sure when he’s bombing threes I’ll change my mind a little. He gives us versatility and will let us run line ups we couldn’t have otherwise unless Bond and Dunn suddenly become more reliable shooters. I just think it’d be a huge mistake to freeze out guys like Bond and Gertrude late in the season. We need them this year and the next several years.

9 Likes

I love how folks here post these recruiting fantasies of assembling a 12-deep roster of four-star players, and then when we actually have a deep roster, we start worrying that guys are going to transfer.

Can’t have it both ways. Can’t play everyone. And if you give minutes to one person to keep him from transferring, you risk having someone else transfer because you’re taking those minutes away from them. Even Coach Ham is finding that out.

And do you really think we recruited a one-and-done-transfer like Groves just to have him sit on the bench and play occasional minutes?

Playing time is definitely gonna be an issue next year,. I suspect things will sort themselves out in practice and early games. Meanwhile, FWIW, I think y’all are undervaluing Groves and Harris, and maybe expecting too much off the bat from Blake and Elijah. But we’ll see.

6 Likes

Bond sure, but Gertrude is coming off an ACL tear. Still think both get opportunities this year

2 Likes

Groves a better 3pt shooter than BVP.

Bond won’t transfer. He’s in it for the long run. Gertrude maybe; Man if Gertrude was 100% he could have been pushing for a starting spot. But if his injury has him behind in the summer and never catches up and then we bring in Kon and another pg then yeah he’s probably gone but thats just life these days and it means we still have talent on the roster.

I think I mentioned it even before Gertrude committed: that he would be a high risk transfer from the getgo because he’s not the conventional fit (not a point guard and not the conventional 3pt flamethrow shooter) and he’s stuck in between Reece McKneely and the 2024 group who will most likely play right away. But he does have the highest ceiling of them all.

2 Likes

Groves can do a lot and helps fill in the cracks where the lineups don’t make sense. He’ll do well paired next to Dunn.

3 Likes

This. Gertrude is gonna get some minutes though. Sporadic I’d imagine.

1 Like

Bond stays if Dunn leaves and Bond leaves if Dunn stays.

It’s probably not that stark, but they are kind of pushing at a similar role, unless one of them develops differently than expected.

2 Likes

I think we can safely assume we’ll have a couple transfers out after next season. It’s just how things work now. Unless Taine makes a big jump then I doubt he plays much. Kind of feel the same about Bond but we haven’t seen what he can do. Doubt Buchanan plays consistently, we’ve told that he’s got exciting potential but is still raw. Believe that leaves 9 other scholarship players. If Gertrude is fully healthy, I hope we make it a point to get him minutes.

1 Like

I mean as long as we keep bringing in transfers to play over younger top-100 talent this will keep occurring

3 Likes

At the same time if you are good you play. Dunn and McKneely proved that.

7 Likes