'21 - '22 Outside ACC Basketball Chat

Arenas may be empty by default again…if you cancel a game because of 10 players on the court, hard to fathom they’ll be able to justify an arena of thousands.

Hope that doesn’t end up the case.

Seems like Jabri is enjoying his freedom at Georgia… what is funny is that no one is commenting about Jabri in the comments, just how long will it take for Crean to be fired.

https://twitter.com/UGABasketball/status/1472377741060284418?s=20

Looking at Jabri’s stats, what jumps out is he’s dependent on the 3-point shot. 41 of his 61 attempts are from 3 (34%). We’re talking about a guy who once led the EYBL in FTs. Not who he was entering college.

Happens a lot with young players though. We have the same thing going on with Milicic. The rest of it will translate eventually. Takes time for some guys to adjust. Whole different level of defense in college.

6 Likes

Another example was Kevin Knox. dominated around the rim in AAU then went to UK and tried to show he could shoot the 3

1 Like

Look at Igor - 15 out of his 20 shots are from 3. Not a large sample size, but he’s going to have to round out his game a bit as well because he should be a match up nightmare for the opponents. One of the things I really like about Taine is he is willing to drive as well as set for the 3 (although 14 out of his 20 shots are from 3) - he probably can develop a great 8-10 foot pull up J. Both of these guys have huge upside as their game diversifies but a problem with foreign players is keeping them in the USA for the summer to work out with someone like Damon and some of the pros who come to C’ville to train.

2 Likes

Yeah, the scouting report on Igor already reads “Stay on his hip at the three point line and you’re good”. He definitely will have diversify to not be neutralized that way. But that said, he’ll get there. He is very talented and is still coming up to speed. Give it like two more months and he’ll be UVA’s Michael Jordan (I am only 90% joking).

1 Like

Pretty sure it’s - keep the game close enough that that Big Croatian doesn’t see the floor.

In all seriousness though that was Trey’s offensive game last year. The occasional backdoor dunk when defenders were sleeping.

If Igor could play spacer and guard the three (not sure that’s realistic right now), we would be dangerous offensively. Let Armaan play the two where he can slash. Kihei can knock down the occasional three as well to open up the paint.

5 Likes

Igor has great vision it seems too

I might be slightly overstating it, but I think he feeds the post better than almost anybody else on the team. Sure he had two passes to Shedrick yesterday that ended up as TOs, but which I thought were good passes.

1 Like

Providence likely to be in the Top 25 tomorrow. Nice win at UConn.

Navy and JMU looking like they could all stick as Quad 2 losses. Iowa currently a Quad 1 loss.

So not exactly out of the NCAAT yet. But the ACC is full of NET land mines that might give us trouble as a Quad 3 loss at home (FSU, Syracuse)

3 Likes

Basketball is 130 years old today. Happy birthday hoops!
https://twitter.com/sportssection/status/1473319897165930505?s=21

7 Likes

This is a new one

https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1473363462646550534

6 Likes

I wonder if they hired the same firm doing fundraising for the Master Plan

Wait… what? Arizona State’s facility has no water, lights, or power? And Jeff Goodman just treats this as a sign of some sort of lasting problem as opposed to what must clearly be some sort of one time situation? There’s no way this is like a typical problem, haha. As if Bobby Hurley and the team are routinely dealing with no food and being left out exposed to the elements but nobody’s mentioned it to date.

Or maybe I’m wrong and Arizona St has just been surviving off expired MREs living out of an abandoned bus. What an amazing job Bobby Hurley has done considering.

6 Likes

Uh…there are elements in Arizona? I know they got hot, and occasionally cold at night.

1 Like

Ah, if only they won a few more games the Trustees would give the athletic department enough money to pay for (checks notes) heat and lights.

Covid has been rougher on Arizona State’s budget than I realized.

2 Likes

And we got people complaining about a football ops center

3 Likes

Sounds like Cassell to me :man_shrugging:t2:

Madness

https://twitter.com/GrantRamey/status/1474099280151461888

7 Likes

Well ya see guys it could be worse. Michigan has multiple 5 stars on the roster, tons of other great recruits, and they’re 7-5 just like us

4 Likes