2nd Spring Live Period Recap

The one thing with Gapare is he’s old. Turns 19 next month. When he originally committed to GW, it was for the 2021 class. I tend to believe he’ll go 2022 in the end, might even have to.

12 Likes

Bro he knows Taine and Jack Salt HOW have we not offered yet???

8 Likes

That’s quite the conga line.

1 Like

I’m guessing it has to do with admissions. If it has to be '22, which it might be, getting him in might be the issue. That was the case with Mamadi, thankfully that one worked out.

5 Likes

Wasn’t Hunter Dickerson a 20 year old freshman at Michigan?

3 Likes

Getting Wilson to do bball coverage for the UVA rivals site was a steal by a Franklin.

15 Likes

I think the NCAA has some sort of time limit for international student athletes. I’ve seen it twice for UVA… Mamadi, and a football commit, Jeffery M’Ba.

Oh god I completely blocked out the NCAA mess with Mamadi that needed to get sorted out. Probably plays into the delay in offer. Clearly they are super interested in him.

2 Likes

Fine commit for 2022 and redshirt like Diakite. Be ready to play in 2023 when all those big guys leave.

3 Likes

Basically you have 5 years max from when you start high school before your NCAA eligibility clock starts. With overseas players it can be complicated to determine when they started high school, different systems.

11 Likes

Uh, Justin Anderson is from Montross, The last I heard, the Northern Neck, even without its Ginger Ale, was still in the Commonwealth! :slight_smile: The Montrose Christian School, while in Maryland, isn’t in the same as Montross from where he comes. Unless I am really mistaken, which is always a possibility.

3 Likes

Yeah should have counted JA. He also played some high school ball in Fredericksburg as an 8th grader. 24/7 has him listed as MD since he was playing for Montrose Christian which is why I missed him.

Either way, I would love to see more VA kids on the roster. It’s fun to root for the home state guys, there’s definitely talent in the area that we’re losing, and we should have more capital than we do.

6 Likes

Elements of my family have lived in Virginia, continuously, for nearly 400 years. My great-great grandfather attended the University of Virginia before the Civil War. (He also got another degree from William & Mary.) I wrote that so you will know my perspective. I really don’t care if Coach Bennett recruits players from Virginia or not. It wouldn’t upset me if there were none on the roster, and it wouldn’t make me any happier if a majority of the players were from the Old Dominion. WRT to the players on the team, the only things that matters are that Coach Bennett wants them on the team, and that they want to be at UVa. That’s it. If I am not mistaken, Coach Bennett is winning something on the order of 73% of his games. We’re not missing on talent. Of course, that’s just my opinion.

14 Likes

Yeah I mean I agree it’s frustrating to lose guys in our backyard but we’re a national program. I’d rather get the guys that fit the system the best, whether they’re from New Rochelle or Newport News

8 Likes
7 Likes

No Freddie with his team. Maybe on a visit?

1 Like

You make this sound like a bad thing, is it? He’d be more mature physically the moment he steps on grounds.

2 Likes

You are not mistaken. Miss that ginger ale btw. Spent 10+ years working in Montross

5 Likes
21 Likes

Just means his school will have less time to develop him before he’s off to whatever his pro destination is. Easier to keep a kid until he’s 22 than 23 or 24.